Chapter Thirteen

It was a Tuesday morning and I was all but dancing as I ran errands for Clancy. I was still on cloud 9 from the weekend and smiled like an idiot every time Frank texted me. He was so wonderful and i was head over heels but, I toned it down as I walked in to the OF store to drop off some things.

Hardly anyone was around at mid morning so I walked to the back office and knocked.

"Hey, come in." A sleepy sounding Syd said.

I paused but went in a moment later to drop off some updated paperwork. She looked at me and then made a point to look back at her computer screen, giving me the cold shoulder. 

"Have fun this weekend?" She asked like it was more of an accusation. "Its all over my fucking email."

Biting my lip I watched her and tried to get a read on how she felt. It didn’t seem too good. I had already seen what she meant. On the home page of AOL, along with several other sites, was a damning picture of Frank and I front row at the show. Our hands and the way I leaned toward him had been highlighted. There had been a slight buzz about it and i should have known Syd would be annoyed, if not offended, by the whole thing.

I wasn’t sure what to say so I said nothing. Syd decided to brake the silence once again.

"Its not that you’re with him it just… so soon. I mean you couldn’t wait to get away from me huh?" She spat at me.

"That’s not fair, you wanted us to be friends." I said lamely

"So you jump oh him without a word?" She seemed more hurt than angry.

"The picture makes it look worse than it is. We just started talking this last weekend."

"Yeah well, he must have been saying something good. What he buy you huh? A bag? Some shoes."

I flinched at her implications. She made me sound like a whore and I didn’t appreciate it. “Syd stop. If you’re so jealous just say so. You don’t have to be hurtful.”

she rolled her eyes as she crossed her arms. “i bet he didn’t notice.” she said it so coolly i wasn’t sure what she meant at first. i recalled every time Frank had held my arms. every time his eyes trailed over me with a pained look. i could not for the life of me remember Syd doing this. Frank had seen my scars. how dare she use that against anyone.

"well its not as if you every cared about that." i hissed at her beyond mad.

"Oh fuck you." She said scathingly. she was about to add something but i felt my face flush and i didnt want her to see me angry. i turned and went.

She couldn’t do this. Tell me to go because she “wasn’t what I wanted” then judge me for finding what I did.

It was petty and childish and… spoke volumes. Syd could play stone cold but she had a soft spot for me. She was jealous and we both knew it. But if she still had feelings… what was I supposed to do with that? and who was she to use my own demons against me

I felt my stomach churn at the thought. I had “patched up” one thing to have more things brake down.

My story book was turning for the worst and i needed a rewrite. Sad thing was… I wasn’t too sure who I thought i wanted was the same has who i’d get.

———

"ya know, some of us cant find one person and you have two losing their minds over you." Cara joked and tossed a kernel of popcorn at me.

"says the girl im double dating with!" i playfully punched her arm and she laughed.

we were in the lobby of a movie theater like a couple of kids waiting for Frank and Tyler. it had been last minute to say the least but i said Cara would feel better with another person there. Besides, Tyler liked tall blondes and she was goofy enough for him. it would work.