Chapter 2: Head Start

I woke up the next morning early. Way too early actually. Jolene and Leena were still passed out on the floor, sleeping peacefully. Leena's brown hair was spread out all over her pillow and the floor, her mouth hung slightly open as she breathed. Jolene's hair was completely covering her face in a tangled, frizzy mess and the part covering her mouth and nose moved with her breathing. I knew my own wavy black hair, without even looking at it, was all over the place. I lay flat on my back, trying to will myself to back sleep. After what felt like an hour, but was probably five minutes, I got up.

It was only ten o'clock. Getting up this early on a saturday morning was a crime.

I went to the bathroom, picking my way precariously over the piles of junk food, pillows, blankets and girls, and made it without stepping on anything or anyone.

Scowling at my reflection in the mirror, my icy blue eyes narrowed in annoyance at my haggard appearance. My hair really was a tangled mess, and there was no way I had enough energy at this hour of the early morning to try and tane it. Instead I yanked  it all back roughly into a messy ponytail, but even that didn't help. My skin was paler than usual and my eyes looked puffy from lack of sleep. This was going to be one of those icky days, I could tell.

I brushed my bangs sideways, and deeming myself as presentable as I could be in my cow print shorts, striped shirt and zombie like face, headed downstairs without waking my friends.

On the way down the stairs I heard two deep voices, one belonging to my brother and the other I wasn't sure of but it definitely sounded familiar. I crept down the stairs as quietly as a ghost and peeked into the kitchen. There was my brother in jogging pants and a tee-shirt, looking as exhausted as me with his blonde hair sticking up on the right side but resting flat as a book on the other. At the breakfast bar was his best friend Jacob Lewis.

Well, Jake wasn't just my brother's friend, he's been mine too for as long as I can remember. He was kind of like a second brother to me. He had light brown hair that always looked as soft as a feather, and the most to die for green eyes, and his lips had a perfect Cupid's bow, nice and full. He was very tall, up in the six feet height range, and he had the kind of arms a girl would love to fall into. And shoulders that were nice and strong that were perfect for leaning against. And a body that was extremely attractive.

 Ok, so he may act like a brother to me, but I still think he's hot.

"Ivy!" he cried cheerfully, running over and picking me up before throwing me over his shoulder.

"Jake!" I whined pitifully. "I am so not in the mood. Put me down."

He spun me around in a dizzying circle before finally setting me back down on the floor where I belonged. I tottered sideways like a drunk person and he caught my arm to steady me.

"Did you get the liscence plate number?" he asked seriously, his eyes meeting mine.

"What?" I asked, completely confused. It was too early for stupid questions. I pulled out of his grasp and walked around the breakfast bar to the fridge to get some much needed food.

"Oh, you know," he said casually as he retook his seat at the bar again. "The liscense plate of the truck that ran you over."

"And then reversed, and then ran you over again," my brother finished. They high fived and grinned at each other before Tyler sat down next to Jake.

"Oh, haha. You guys are so funny," I said sarcastically, dropping two toasts into the toaster before turning around with my arms crossed and leaned on the counter behind me.

"No but seriously, what happened?" Jake asked, at least looking a tad concerned.

"She broke up with her boyfriend after she saw him cheating with her best friend," Tyler said quickly before I could even open my mouth. I glared at him but he just stuck his tongue out at me before taking a huge bite of a banana.