Chapter 13: Java's

“Ivy! Can you get that please?” Jake called from the bathroom.

It was after school, the same day that Chad got sent to the principal’s office for the….ahem….disturbing incident in History. Jake had driven Tyler and I home like usual, and decided to stay with us as well since my parents weren’t home yet.

At the moment, Jake was in the bathroom and his cell phone, which was ringing, was sitting on the living room table, about two inches from my foot which was propped up on the table.

With a groan, I heaved myself forward out of my comfortable place on the couch and picked up his phone.

“Hell-?” I asked cautiously, sinking back into the couch.

“Jacob Lewis! I have been trying to reach you for days! Why haven’t you been answering your phone? I have the biggest news!” the guy on the phone cut me off.

I waited patiently until he stopped ranting, and when he finally paused to take a breath I replied. “This isn’t Jake.”

There was a long pause.

“Who is this?” the guy asked cautiously.

“Ivy.”

“Ivy…? Oh! Ivy!” the guy cried, “I know you! Well, not personally but Jake told me a lot about you.”

“Um….okay, who are you?” I questioned.

“I’m Nick. A friend of Jake’s."

“I see,” I said, even though I didn’t. I mean, I was on the phone, so I couldn’t actually see the guy.

“Where is Jake?” the guy asked after a moment of silence.

“On the crapper,” I said, twirling a strand of hair around my finger.

There was a stunned silence, and I was about to ask Nick if he was still there, but suddenly he burst out laughing.

“How charming,” he laughed, “Tell him to call me back when he’s done with his…business, alright?”

Jake suddenly walked back into the living room and plopped down on the couch next to me.

“Well, actually he’s finished with his business so you can talk to him now,” I said, handing the phone to Jake.

“Hello?” Jake questioned, arching an eyebrow at me.

“Oh, Nick, hey!....sorry, I lost my phone,” he explained to Nick, while I just chuckled.

I had stolen his phone a few days ago just to piss him off, but I had turned it off so I hadn’t noticed any missed calls or texts.

“Seriously? …Tomorrow night?... Of course I’ll be there…Okay, send my regards to Jimmy…yeah…okay bye,” Jake said before hanging up.

“So…how do you feel about going to Java’s tomorrow night?” Jake questioned, tossing his phone on the table before slinging an arm around my shoulders.

“Java’s?” I asked, feeling curious.

Java’s was this new café that had opened up about a month ago. It had a small stage where bands or solo acts could perform songs, poetry, whatever, while people drank caffeinated beverages and ate pastries and other yummy goodies. I'd never been before, but I had wanted to check it out. The food they had sounded delicious.

“Yeah, Nick’s band had a gig tomorrow night, but their lead singer, Jimmy, got food poisoning so he asked to sing and play with them in his place,” Jake explained, his green eyes flashing with excitement. “So, do you want to come?”