Chapter 19: Weird

My weekend passed slowly. Tyler had told Jo and Leena what had happened between Jake and I, and they both had called to see if I wanted to meet up and talk about it. I told them no.

The weekend was spent wallowing in misery and guilt. When Monday came then that meant I had to get out and continue on like I normally would. So I spent two whole days being a lazy slob, eating, watching movies, listening to music, ect.

When Monday finally arrived, I didn’t know what to expect. I’d barely gotten any sleep the night before since I’d been worrying about what I was going to do about the Jake situation. Obviously I had to give him time and space or else he’d probably hate me forever. But what was going to happen? Was he still going to drive Tyler and I to school? Sit with us at the lunch table? Come to my house?

Questions buzzed around my mind as I shifted my weight from foot to foot anxiously, waiting for Tyler to hurry up and finish getting ready for school. For some reason I had woken up early this morning, meaning I was early for school. Which was one of the few rare times it has happened. Of course, the one day I decide to be early Tyler decided to be late.

“Tyler, come on!” I shouted impatiently, shouldering my back pack.

“I’m coming!” he shouted, barreling down the stairs. He yanked on his shoes and a coat while I went outside.

Jake’s car was in the driveway.

Gulp.

I contemplated waiting for Tyler but I had promised myself that I would continue like normal, so I took a deep breath before I headed down the stairs.

Tyler ran past me and hopped into the car while I exhaled in relief.

Thank you, Tyler! I thought as I got into the car as well.

I glanced at Jake but he was looking at the steering wheel so I couldn’t see his face. Without a word he pulled out of the driveway before taking off down the street.

Somehow, I was sure my plan for things to go back to normal was going to fail. Epically.

********

My day was…weird. My friends wanted to know what happened and tried to comfort me, but I simply told them I didn’t want comforting and that I didn’t want to talk about it. So we returned to our normal joking around and stuff but I could tell they were worried. They kept shooting me glances, but I ignored them.

Chad was being friendlier than usual. Basically anytime I was around him he would sling an arm around my shoulder, or touch my arm. Lunch was the worst. We walked into the cafeteria together and he had his arm around me. Jake saw.

The worst part was that Jake didn’t even have any emotion on his face. His expression resembled a mask and I longed to tear it down to see what he was thinking.

To say I was relieved when school finished would be an understatement. I was just glad that I had dance tonight so that would keep me occupied. Jake dropped me off without a word and I hurried into the dance studio without once looking back. I somehow managed to make it through the Viennese Waltz and Cha-Cha without incident. While I was waiting for the tango class to start Benjamin showed up.

Then Anthony said he wanted to speak to us both so he came over to where I was sitting on the floor and we all sat down.

“Alright, so Ivy I’m not sure if you remember but we always have a dance show in spring,” he said and I nodded slowly.

“So this year the theme is movies,” he said, looking excited.

“Movies?” Ben questioned, arching an eyebrow.