Chapter 15: Complicated

I woke up with a groan, rolling over to hit my alarm clock with one sore arm. I rolled back to my original spot and tried to go back to sleep, but I was wide awake. I sat up stiffly, grunting as I felt my muscles protest.

“Thanks, alarm clock. Are you happy now?” I hissed at it, sliding off my bed and glaring at it, as I hobbled past to get clothes. I continued walk awkwardly to the bathroom on my sore legs, and dressed as quickly as I could.

My hair was too much of a mess to even bother trying to fix it, so I scooped as much of it as I could up into a messy bun on the nape of my neck. I splashed cold water on my face and slicked on some cherry chap stick. Deeming myself presentable to go to school, I waddled back into my room and grabbed a random skirt and dug around in my closet until I found my old dance shoes. I tried them on but… they didn’t fit anymore. I cursed at them before throwing them black in my closet.

I hurried down the stairs, not even bothering with breakfast as I grabbed the water bottle that I had stuck in the freezer after I finished wallowing in tears and ice cream. The water bottle was complete ice and I hoped it would stay frozen until I got to the dance studio. I tossed the skirt and the bottle into my backpack along with my lunch for school and zipped it up. Tyler was waiting for me at the door, but he didn’t say anything. He simply watched me silently as I pulled on my shoes. My coat and boots were still in my locker so I had to go to school without a jacket today, but I didn’t mind all that much. 

After all, my boyfriend was driving me to school, so I didn’t need a coat.

Tyler studied me for another long moment before speaking, “Where’s your coat?”

“At school,” I muttered, brushing past him to open the door. He stepped aside without a word and followed me outside, locking the door. I let him go first since I didn’t want to be left alone with Jake for even a second. Not after what he did.

As I made my way to Jake’s car, I pulled out my I-Pod and crammed my earphones in my ears. I blasted Libertango by Forever Tango, trying to run over some of the dance moves that Anthony told me we were going to be doing today in the lesson, as well as keep my mind off Jake.

I sat in his car and slammed the door shut, immediately turning my gaze to look out the window even though I wasn’t actually seeing anything. My attention was focused in my mind’s eye, thinking about how I was going to execute those specific moves.

If Jake said anything to me, I didn't know or hear it, and barely registered the passing surroundings until the car suddenly came to a halt. I hit the pause button on my I-Pod as I saw Tyler getting out of the car. I fumbled with my own door and once I managed to get the door open I leapt out of the car, snatching my school bag off the seat and slamming the door shut. Before Tyler or Jake could do anything I hit the play button on my I-Pod and took off, striding quickly to the school without once looking back.

I hurried to my locker and grabbed my books for first period, still listening to my music so I could block out everyone around me. I was so focused on what I was doing that I didn’t even notice Chad waltz his way up to me until he slammed my locker shut.

I leapt back about ten feet in fright, yanking out my earphones, “Chad! What the fuck is wrong with you?” I shouted.

Chad blinked in surprise. “Good morning to you too,” he said, still looking a bit shocked at my outburst.

I growled at him, replacing one of my earphones as I re-opened my locker. I snatched the history worksheet the teacher gave me yesterday and I threw it at him, “Here. The teacher told me to give this to you. Now go away,” I spat, grabbing my English books and slamming my locker shut. I waddled away on sore legs as quickly as possible, but Chad was relentless.