Chapter 28: Christmas Party

“You know Ivy, we’re having a party next Friday for Christmas,” Anthony told me as I started leaving dance class.

“Yeah, I know. It’s at eight, right?” I hiked my bag onto my shoulder, fanning myself from the heat. It would feel awesome when I got outside in the cold winter air. I really needed to cool down.

“Yup. So you’re coming?” Ben asked, appearing next to me.

“I guess so. I’ve got nothing better to do,” I chuckled.

“No boyfriend?” Anthony frowned at me.

“Yes boyfriend, but who said we were going out that night?” I shot him a look.

“He could come along and you can bring your friends too,” he pointed out, “Even if none of them dance.”

“Hmmmm,” I thought of Jake dancing in the living room and smiled. “I think they’d like that.”

“Good,” he clapped his hands together, “Now you better get going. Don’t want to be late for dinner.”

“No kidding. Mom would kill me,” I grimaced, “Bye Anthony.”

“Later guys,” he waved before heading off to teach another class.

“You got a boyfriend?” Ben asked as we walked to his car, eyebrow raised at me.

“I didn’t tell you?” I frowned, “Huh. I thought I had…guess not. Oh well. But yes I did.”

“Same guy or…?”

“Different guy. I’m still friends with my ex though. You might get to meet them both on Friday actually,” I chuckled, getting into the car.

“Are they friends?” he asked, looking amused.

“Not really. Jake is not at all fond of Chad, and Chad…well…he doesn’t like that we’re so close,” I rolled down the window a bit as he took off towards my house.

“Afraid you’ll hook up again?” he guessed.

“Yup. It’s kind of annoying, but other than that he’s pretty great,” I shrugged.

He tossed me a look, looking a little apprehensive. “You don’t exactly look happy.”

I tugged on a curl from my ponytail. “It still bothers me…with my ex I mean. The cheating just doesn’t add up. I still have feelings for Jake and I feel bad for being with Chad because I could be hurting both of them.”

“Maybe, but its better you don’t know. Either way, it’s in the past now, you can’t change what happened,” he patted my leg, “Besides things are better now, right?”

“I guess,” I sighed, looking out the window. I wasn't entirely convinced. Maybe if I just knew what had happened, things with Jake wouldn't be so up in the air.

Ben looked at me, but said nothing more. Maybe that was best. Words wouldn’t change anything. But the truth would.

********

“You should really come, Leena,” I pouted. “It’ll be fun. Maybe you’ll meet some hot dancer!”

“But I don’t dance Ivy, you know that,” she groaned as we walked down the hall to lunch.

“So get a guy to teach you. It’s the best way to hook up with someone!” Jo exclaimed, “That’s what I’m going to do.”

“Come on, I know a few guys that would jump at the chance to dance with you,” I slung my arm around her shoulders, “Please? It’ll be fun, even without guys too.”