Chapter 6: Small

JAKE’S P.O.V

I was lying awake, feeling uncomfortable. Even though I had a big plushy comforter underneath me, and warm blanket on me, I couldn’t sleep.

Tyler was snoring loudly, and with a groan I covered my head with my pillow.

“Tyler!” I hissed. The only response I received was that his snoring paused for about a minute before starting up again.

“Tyler!” I said loudly, throwing my pillow at him.

“Whaaa?” Tyler asked groggily.

“If you don’t shut the fuck up I swear to God I’m going to shove my sock down your throat,” I hissed.

He threw the pillow back at me. I caught it and slammed it down under me before burying my face it.

“Jeez, someone’s panties are in a twist,” Tyler said as he yawned. In the darkness I could see his blonde hair was sticking up in all different directions.

“Well, it’s hard to be happy when someone’s snoring sounds like a garbage truck,” I said, feeling irrated again.

I haven’t been able to sleep since Monday, the day that Ivy’s face got a little too close to mine. I wish I could go and do that day over. I mean, I’ve liked Ivy for a while now, but it was a little crush, something easily forgotten and not really important.

But after Monday….I sighed. Everything feels different now. Like suddenly Ivy’s not my best friend’s little sister anymore. But whenever I think of her being Tyler’s little sister, I cringe. That makes her untouchable. Even though Tyler knows I like her, he doesn’t quite now the magnitude of my crush on her.

“You okay?” Tyler asked, his eyes glittered eerily in the dark. “You’ve been acting strange all week.”

“I’m fine,” I said moodily.

There was a pause.

“Sorry for leaving you at home alone,” he said quietly.

“That’s not why I’m annoyed.”

“I’m still sorry.”

“What ever.” I said, turning over.

Another pause.

“So….what did you do?” Tyler asked.

“I hung out with Ivy.” The thought put a goofy smile on my face. I was suddenly glad for the darkness.

“What did you guys do?”

“I played guitar, tried to teach her how to play, then we went to the movies,” I said, unable to keep the smile off my face.

There was a silence.

“Tyler?” I asked, thinking he fell asleep.

“Like a date?” Tyler asked, sound shocked.

“Not a date, numbskull, she dragged me along against my will.”

Ivy dragging you against your will?” Tyler snorted in disbelief.

I didn’t want to go, but she begged, Tyler. She begged.” I said, putting emphasis on the begging.

“Naturally, you folded faster than a house of cards.” He sounded amused.

“Screw off,” I hissed.

“So what movie did you see? Was it a romance? A tear jerker? A horror movie so she could cower in your arms?” Tyler asked, his voice was teasing.