Chapter 40: Perspective

The day was long and by the time I was allowed to rest from practice, my body was aching and I felt exhausted. I had no idea how I was going to perform those two numbers without collapsing.

“Tired?” Ben asked, sitting down on the chair next to me. I had sank into it as soon as I had been allowed too, slouching with my legs stretched out in front of me. Another class was practicing their dance now, the Chicago number ‘Cell Block Tango’, right in front of me. I tried not to pay attention since I kind of wanted to see the whole dance with costumes and effects tonight.

“What gave it away? The pouring sweat or the fact that I sound like Darth Vader when I breathe?” I wheezed, wiping sweat off my forehead.

“A bit of both,” he said with a grin, handing me a bottle of water. “Here. Can’t have you dying before the show.”

I glared at him but took the bottle he offered me. “So how are you and Jo doing?” I asked, twisting the cap off before I sipped some. The cool water raced down my throat and I sighed in relief. It felt so good.

“Really well actually. She’s special," he chuckled, hands clasped between his knees. “I’m glad I met her.”

“Ah, l’amour. What a wonderful thing,” I sighed dramatically, pressing the cold water bottle against my forehead.

“How about you? You didn’t tell Jake, did you?” he asked, giving me a slightly concerned look.

I peered at him from under my water bottle, grimacing. “Not yet. I said I’d wait till he was out of the hospital but then this happened…” I gestured at the dance floor. “And I didn’t have a chance. I think I might tell him tomorrow, when things are calmer.”

“Are you sure he doesn’t already know?” he asked, not looking at me as he pursed his lips.

I sat up straighter in my chair. “What aren’t you telling me?”

“It’s nothing, it’s just…well this was a bit of a big gesture for someone to make who’s ‘just a friend’,” he shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know, when he asked me about it at first I thought maybe he already knew but I didn’t say anything in case. He really wanted you to come and dance again.”

“Maybe it’s just because I told him I stopped dancing when he got into his accident, and maybe he felt guilty?” I suggested, but inside I was reeling. Was it possible that he had remembered? What if someone had told him? I sincerely hoped not. I wanted to be the one to tell about us. I didn’t want him to find out I had kept our relationship a secret from someone else.

It would be wonderful if he discovered it on his own, but what if he hated me for not telling him? I hated the thought of him being angry with me. “And it’s just dance. Jo, Leena and Tyler have been on my back to start dancing for weeks.”

“Yeah, but it’s not just dance,” he muttered, then quickly covered his mouth.

“What do you mean its not just dance?” I narrowed my eyes and lowered the bottle.

“I just mean that maybe there’s more to it than what you think,” he said hastily, eyes wide at me.

“Ben you are a really bad liar. What’s going on?”

“I can’t tell you. It’s all a part of the surprise,” he said helplessly. “Sorry Ivy, but I’m not about to spoil it.”

“Can’t you at least give me an idea?” I pouted.

“Sorry,” he said again, shaking his head. “Besides, even I’m not clear on all details. Jake’s got his own plans and as far as I know, no one else knows about it either.”