Chapter 5: Comeback

"How was the first day, honey?" My mom questioned as I slumped on the couch.

"Horrible." I replied absentmindedly. It wasn't the answer mom was looking for as she frowned.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I met my mate." I emotionlessly said.

"Oh god, h-he rejected you?" She inquired slowly, hesitating. Probably assessing where I stood on the matter.

"He tried." I scoffed.

"What do you mean?" My mom looked at me with eyes as wide as saucers.
"He might have mentioned it." I whispered looking everywhere but at her.

"Did you accept his rejection?"

"You have to do that kind of a thing?" I laughed nervously fiddling with my fingers.

"Delphi." My mom said in a warning tone.

We had this talk before, right when I turned eighteen she pulled me away from the crowd to talk about this, being unsure about myself I had asked her about rejection.

Even though she had assured me that rejection was never an option I had urged her to tell me about it.
When a male or female werewolf rejects their mate the other has to accept the rejection or else their wolf is at threat. 

"Mom, he didn't even want to know me, I know I'm not the ideal mate but he didn't even try to know if I could be." I broke into tears as mom hugged me closely. Insecurity forcing its way through my surface.

"Baby, he doesn't deserve you. He's stupid to not see how beautiful you are. He is lucky to have you as his mate but he is also immature to have not seen his fortune. Accepting the rejection will at least save your wolf, honey."  She was trying to persuade me to think about Lyra who wanted not else but to go back to her mate.

"I know mom, I just can't let him get away with this. No one deserves this. I want everyone to know that, understand that. He will pay for his wrong doings." I growled wiping my eyes roughly, pushing my insecurity by in it's cage. While I was saying it out loud, it sounded rather childish but I was past caring.

"I support you in everything, you know that. Just be careful." I nodded knowingly seeing her reason.

He will pay but I won't do anything, he will feel the pain of rejection before I do. And when he does, I will be there to rub more salt on his wounds.

You did very wrong, Sylvester.

Sleep didn't come easy. Every moment my eyes shut I pictured those icy grey eyes staring back at me, taunting me. They were meant to be eyes that looked at me with love and affection.

Not wanting to dwell on him any longer I started counting sheep. At the last count of two hundred forty three sleep took over my senses.

The next morning, the face that greeted me did not surprise me. My eyes were swollen and my nose was red as a reindeer. I splashed water on my face, angry at myself for letting him affect me that much.

Covering a swollen eye was something I could've mastered in, it's wonderful what a bit of concealer and mascara can do.

I refrained from applying concealer on a regular bases but it was required that day.

While I tried to give less importance to my appearance, dressing up after a bad day lifted my spirits like nothing else. I matched my plain while shirt that dipped to show a hint cleavage with a navy blue skirt that fell a few inches above my knee. I wore heels, ones I had not touched in years. Heels were only for occasions.