Chapter 17: An insight

Delphi's POV (We want our girl back)

There was a different fire in him, I didn't know how to react. It was there before but it was burning brighter today. It resembled the fire I first saw in his eyes when they met mine, just a flash before the had turned hard as stone.

He was making me reconsider, maybe he did change.
He kept coming back and I knew for sure any other guy having said the same things he did, wouldn't work so hard to get me back.

He had come to discuss something important but stopped seeing Caleb. I didn't push him to tell me what he had come to convey, I had already cared more than enough by inviting him in.

I was stunned when he left the small hut. He walked out leaving a promise behind. I got a feeling he's going to do something out of the blue to get through to me and I had to be prepared for any such incidents.

Why can't we just go to him? He's our mate, Delphi. My wolf stated weakly.
He didn't want us, Lyra. I have already cared too much, more than he deserves. I couldn't fathom a future with him to be happy.

He has told us time and again that he didn't mean those words. I've spoken to Demon too. We are getting weak, Delphi. Lyra's arguments struck a cord. I laid back on the small bed remembering the day I had gone through the book on mates.

It said that if two mates were away from each other, it would affect their respective wolves.

Over the course of time I could lose my wolf and he; his. Rejection might save that but now he wouldn't accept it. An Alpha risking his wolf is probably the dumbest mistake an Alpha can make.

A slight migraine spread through my brain making me massage it in pain. And soon I drifted off to sleep with Lyra's thought forming a storm in my mind.

Amidst the thinking and arguments I had forgotten to set an alarm and when I did wake up, it was already late morning. I hadn't slept in in quite a while. I stumbled over my own feet to get dressed. I had to visit the hospital and go to work, a late morning was not giving me an advantage.

I pulled my hair into a messy bun and picked up my duffle bag. I wouldn't have time to come back from the hospital so I packed all the essentials I needed for work as well. Not that there was much I had arranged in my make shift home.

I pulled open the door of the cottage seeing a purple box about the size of a shoe box with a black bow on it. I recognised the scent, it was hard not to when my body craved for it.
I picked it up in a hurry and walked to my car seeing I was already late, and set it beside me on the passengers seat. I was trying my best to avoid dwelling on it.

The ride to the hospital was traffic free, fortunately. I parked in the lot and called my brother.

"Hello, Delphi. What is going on?" I shrugged the formal uncomfortable greeting and asked a question of my own.
"Is dad in the hospital today?" I crossed my fingers hoping the answer would to no.

"Oh, no. He just got back, actually." I breathed a sigh of relief. At-least, I wouldn't have to hide much.
"Thanks, Scott. I'll be home today." I informed him.

"That is great! See you later, then." I could hear whispers in the background but chose to ignore that too. I was inside the hospital by the time I placed the phone back in my pocket.

The hospital held the same unforgiving aura which made me wonder why I even wanted to spend my days working here.

You wanted to save people, the way you couldn't save Ethan. My conscious reminded me making my steps falter. Yes, that was the reason I had looked up to this.