Chapter 15: A New Start

"Hello, I'm Delphi. Sophia told me I could start working today?"

"Sure, you can. I'm Vince, by the way." I simply nodded. Vince had dark hair that drew out his features. His eyes held a familiarity I could not place and his expression held a warmth that made me restless.

"Here, take these and wait in aisle three. I'll be with you in a minute." He said, handing me a loose shirt reading the library's name and ID.

It wasn't hard to locate the aisle as it had a big '3' written on it. I started familiarising with the books seeing which ones I had read and which I haven't.

The aisle had books consisting of autobiographies and a shelf of fiction. My love for literature had been my only reason of survival. I would read all books, take inspiration from them and try to learn from each.

The best kind of learnings come from autobiographies of the ordinary. I wasn't surprised to have read most of the books sitting on the shelves there and even having the honour of owning a couple of them.

I was flipping through the pages of my favourite autobiography, tracing the small letters with my fingers while balancing the book on my other hand.

My hand had been healing quite well, seeing as it should be out of the plaster in another day. My concepts of self harm were long gone, it was time to be the responsible child my parents deserved.

I had made up my mind, as soon as I would go home, I would sit them down and have a talk. It wasn't only I who was suffering due to our loss, Ethan was their son.

"Delphi?" I heard someone call my name.

"In here!" I replied walking to the edge of the aisle.

"So, the job doesn't consist of much, to be honest. All you have to do is know your way around the library and when a customer requests to see a book or asks your favourite- you have to give a few pointers and convince them to buy the book."

I nodded my head doing a happy dance in my head at the joy that would come with a day spent surrounded with books.

"Even though the issuing section is not your job I'll tell you a little about it. A person can't issue a book without a library card of this library and they are allowed to keep the book for three weeks at a maximum." Vince ended, looking at me intently probably contemplating my understanding capacity.

"I got it, thanks!" I smiled at him. He gave me one more look then turned to leave but stopped.

"Oh, and anyone can stay in the library for however long they wish. No restrictions in the land of books." He winked at me.

"It's a twenty-four hours library?" I squeaked.

"You didn't know? Though, your shift is in the afternoon and evening, right?" He frowned seeing my unawareness. I should have looked into this before taking the job.

"Well, I am new." I said with a small shrug to which he gave a laugh.
"Yeah, so if you need anything, I'll be at the counter."

The rest of the day had been uneventful, I've got to say, the library stayed very deserted through out my shift with only a few on goers coming in for a look.

I drove back to the small cottage I'd taken shelter in for a few days, it wasn't much but had the basic necessities which was al I required for the time being.

I put my purse on a small table in the corner and sat on a make shift bed looking outside the small window.
The chirping of the birds brought a sense of peace to my heart. I could feel myself heeling, both inside and out.