Chapter 9: Aftermath

A/N Please read till the end.

I was nothing short of a walking corpse, just travelling from my room to the kitchen and back.

I barely ate, knowing my habits, that worried my family dearly but they tried to hide their concern.

It'd been ten days since my first visit to Dr. Hannah. I had been making regular appointments with her but I knew she couldn't help me, atleast not more than she had already. Just the way she couldn't help me the before. It's all for show, the therapy, I didn't have any mental illness that needed special care. Though, coming from the patient I guess that didn't hold a lot of value.

Sylvester came back every once in a while, sending good night texts and bringing me roses. It shouldn't take him long to realise that his attempts to win me back were anything but effective. While, his actions made it seem he genuinely cared, I was not a fool to fall for it.

I didn't care anymore, about anything but my future career. I just wanted to focus on my studies, to help the wounded.

Lola would often call me, asking me for the reason of my drop out, claiming if it had anything to do with Sylvester she'd beat him up for me. I would just laugh humorlessly and make an excuse to hang up.

Caleb did visit me once but I had mastered the art of indifference, more for his benefit than mine.
He couldn't come again as he was an Alpha leaving his territory and entry to another would require permissions which could only be granted by my dear mate who refused to let any male near me.

I was sitting on the portico when a pebble hit the window startling me. It was a distinct sound amongst the pitter patter of rain drops.

Though the rain made it hard for me to see, I leaned against the window to take a closer look.
I could make out a familiar figure getting drenched in the rain. I hesitated. My instincts were to rush to the front door and let him in but my brain forced me to reconsider. Nevertheless, between my wolf and my brain it isn't hard to guess who won.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned taking in his dripping body.

"I wanted to see you." He said hugging me. My face scrunched up at the water seeping through my barely clothed body but the warmth of his arms around me and the tingles running up my entire being kept me from pulling away. Apart from the physical attraction, I could feel his worry, perhaps that kept me still. My hands were limp, siding my frame.

"Why?" I asked after he released me from his grip.

"Because I just did." He replied, his voice held a deeper meaning which I couldn't grasp but his face held this look of relief which I understood well enough. He wanted to make sure I hadn't done anything. There was a sinking feeling in my stomach, it was guilt. I didn't owe him anything yet his expression was forcing me to feel for him. Irrespective of his previous actions, seeing his mate in that vulnerable a state probably ruined him.

I moved aside letting him walk in to the living room. My parents had left for work so had my brother. I didn't expect them to return for another few hours.

I felt a shiver run down my spine at the thought of staying with Sylvester alone for that long. My parents rarely left me on my own after what happened but since my dads' shift changed the previous day, they had to.

I motioned for him to sit down on the sofa while he shook his head boyishly.

I frowned at his refusal. Seeing my confusion he gestured at his wet clothes and I blushed seeing his blue V-neck cling to his sculpted body. My human reactions to the situations startled me, at that instant I made an effort to shake myself out of being a nice person and back to the one he deserves.