Chapter 12: Pain

It was probably the seventh time I patted my hair down and straightened my skirt. The emptiness of the diner offered no comfort to my restlessness.

I was sipping my coffee at intervals, the caffeine encouraging my nerves to be all over the place. I found my reactions to be quite ridiculous. It was just a small interview, for a part time job, I had gone through much more dire times.
I was waiting for Caleb's cousin to arrive at the small cosy diner not far from my pack. Caleb's pack and mine weren't close and there was a stretch of neutral territory between the two packs where the diner was situated.

I had been only five minutes since I had last seen my phone to check the time, it had to have been half past seven. If not for the time, the sun setting was a clear indication of how late it was. I had arrived early to prep myself up for the supposed interview.
I didn't know how to show that I wanted the job because it was after all, just to keep me busy.

I didn't know why I was nervous, I didn't have anything to lose but I knew the need to impress was making me bite my lips and fiddle with my fingers.

"Here you go." A familiar voice said. I looked up to see the waiter showing the way to a lady. She looked about thirty years old, her face was sided with thick brown curls.

I stood up from my seat and gave her a smile that she returned.

"Hello, I'm Delphi." I introduced myself, sticking my hand out for her to shake.

"Hi, it's great to finally meet you. I'm Sophia." She shook my hand, her hold was firm meeting my intensity.

She seated herself opposite to me.
"What would you both like to order?" The waitress questions looking down at her notepad and scribbling something.

"I'll take a pasta in white sauce with coke." Sophia smiled softly at the waitress and looked at me.

"I'd like a burger and cold coffee please." I pushed the menu towards the waitress after finishing my order. It was my second coffee of the day, and it was actually less compared to my normal consumption.

"Your order will be served in twenty minutes." The waitress said picking up our menus. She soon left seeing that we didn't have any other inquiries.

"So, Delphi. Caleb tells me you are taking online classes. Why is that?" Sophia said genuinely looking at me.
"I do. I didn't like college as much as I thought I would." I answered, truthfully I didn't see the need to tell her the sad tale of my mates rejection.

"I don't have any other questions for you, to be honest. Just that I expect you to report at the library at the alloted time and no unexpected holidays. You can ask me if you need a holiday I'll give it to you, granted you give a proper reason." Her professional voice made me straighten my back even more showing my dedication to what left her mouth.

"Here you go." The waitress placed the plates and glasses filled with our ordered food in front of us and left immediately.

"I'll make sure to maintain strick timings, though I'm not aware of my shifts." I replied keeping my face pleasant.
"Oh right, I'm so sorry. Your shift will be from three to eight on alternate weekdays and on Saturdays four to six. In a month you can take a maximum of four days off. The work isn't difficult. You just need to guide the customers through the shop. Of course, to have precision you need to first learn everything by heart." I nodded my head ever so frequently showing my involvement in the conversation.

"That sounds great." I replied but one question bugged my mind and supposedly, it didn't cross hers at all. What will be my pay? I wasn't in need of money but that was an aspect I wanted to be well aware of. She seemed to be finding it difficult to conduct an official interview.