Chapter 3

Annabeth walked briskly through the woods. Her feet passed over rocks and tree trunks with ease, where as I was tripping over my own feet. Finally, Annabeth stopped walking. She faced two giant boulders, searched for something, then walked up to them. She ducked down underneath a boulder and was no longer in sight.

"Annabeth?" I asked, hoping for an answer.

"Come on in!" I hear from behind the boulders. I walk toward the boulders and notice something I didn't before, a small, dark opening between the boulders. I get down on my hands and knees and crawl under the space, and I stand up once I'm in.

I'm standing in a torch-lit cave with strange markings on the wall. It smells like an old attic in here, and Annabeth is staring at the markings intently.

"Come look." She points to a particular painting. I step closer, and see a painting.

A girl is holding a wand in her right hand and is wearing a strange gold necklace that is in Greek. I read it in English though, and it says 'the wisdom of Athena'.

She is glowing, she is the brightest thing in the painting. There are gods in the top left corner, looking worried and nervous. The witches and wizards in the top right corner have the same looks. The girl's eyes are closed.

"It's me." I say, staring at the girl in the painting.

"Yes. You are the child of the prophecy that you heard."