Seven

A gunshot tore through the night.

"Joseph?" Dani called. The silence of darkness answered her. "Joey?" Her voice rose sharply in pitch, a lump forming in the middle of her throat.

"David," she breathed. "David!" she nearly growled into the night air.

A shadow slowly crept out from behind a bush, the silhouette of a gun just visible. Two black masses, one larger than the other, were sat in the clearing.

"Jordan..." the voice of the shadow began hesitantly.

Dani shook. "Joey," she choked out. "Joseph!"

******

Dani was startled awake by Sam's large hand shaking her. A small gasp escaped her lips.

"Whoa," Sam exclaimed. His eyebrows drew together, hazel eyes concerned. "You okay?"

She stared up at him. "How'd you get in my room?" she asked

Sam swallowed. "We've been calling you, you wouldn't answer your phone or the door..." he trailed off, looking hard at her features as she sat up. "Hey. Are you alright?"

She shook her head. "I'm fine just... had a nightmare."

He nodded. "Happens to the best of us." His tone of voice suggested he thought there was more to it than that, but he dropped the matter.

"Me and Dean were just about to go talk to of the vic's family," he said, "if you wanna join."

"What about Cas?" she asked.

Sam shrugged. "He said he'd ask around, and, trust me, it's best if he doesn't come," he chuckled. "Gotta love the guy, but he can be a little... awkward."

Dani smiled at the thought. "I'll be at your room in a half hour or so?"

He nodded. "Sounds good."

He went for the door, but turned around halfway as if wanting to say something. Dani found herself getting worried what he might say, but he sighed and left without another word.

She jumped up from her bed to quickly shower with barely-warm water. The events from her dream pestered her as she got ready for the day of hunting; a pit settled in her stomach that would not be dissolving soon. She hastily threw on slacks and loosely tied a tie around her neck to go with her white blouse, feeling discombobulated the entire time. The voice echoed in her head, ricocheting on the walls of her skull: "Jordan..."

There was a reason Bobby was one of the very few people that could call her by her first name. 

A grumpy Dean answered the door when Dani knocked.

"Took you long enough," he grumbled.

Dani stood in the doorway. "Good morning to you, too," she muttered.

Sam appeared in her line of sight, adjusting the cuffs of his suit jacket. "Ready to go?" he asked lightly. She nodded once, stepping to the side in order to allow the boys through the door; she followed to Dean's car and got into the backseat-- although she would rather drive, but she was not planning on arguing with Dean about it.

"So, who are we questioning?" she inquired.

"Mrs. Martinez, she's the mother of the teenage girl that was killed about a week ago," Dean replied.

"Do we happen to know of any motive this angel may have had for killing all these people?" she asked.

"A ritual-- maybe?" Sam suggested. "He could've just been tryna' scare a bunch of people or he coulda' just," he shrugged, "gone insane."