Eight

The group of four set out for the church immediately after leaving the victim's house. Piled into one car, Dean went over the plan from the front seat. Cas and Dani sat in the back.

"We're all here about the deaths," Dean explained.

"Isn't there a lot of us for FBI agents?" Dani questioned.

He stammered. "Shut up, they'll deal with it."

She held back a laugh as he left the car, rolling her eyes. Cas gave her a quick glance, as if he was still unsure of her presence-- the feeling was mutual. Dani fell into step with Sam, having to run a bit to catch up to his long strides. Sam smiled down at her, hand grasping and squeezing hers. She felt a chill go up her spine, and a sinking coldness in her stomach.

"I need to tell you something," she murmured to him. "Once we get out of here."

She felt him stiffen. "Is something wrong?" he asked, his voice slightly wavering.

She quickly shook her head. "There's just something you need to know."

Sam looked down at her, brows drawn together. Slowly, he nodded in understanding.

"You can always talk to me, Dani." His voice sounded like molasses, slow and sweet, especially when he was keeping his tone down. There was a breathiness there that sounded to Dani like her favorite song and there was a slight scratch that made her want to linger in the moment of his sound.

She quickly pushed the thoughts away. They were working, this was no time to be distracted. Slowly, trying not to make it seem like she was pulling away, she drew his hand away from his. Even though they were entering the church and there were no ill intentions behind the action, a flicker of hurt went through Sam's expression.

Any trace of the moment that passed between them quickly evaporated. Both hunters got into the mentality of an FBI agent working a case; they were experts at acting.

A tan-skinned clergyman with greying dark hair immediately approached them, turning to Dean, seeing as he was the first to enter.

"Good afternoon, brothers..." he noticed Dani behind Castiel, "and sister." He smiled warmly at all of them. "I am Father Fernando, what can I do for you?"

All four took out their fraudulent badges and showed them to Fernando. "I'm Agent Heely, these are my partners Agent Farrel, Rip, and Harris."

Dani stepped around the angel. "We're here about the deaths of a few people that used to attend church here," she began bluntly.

The man's eyes softened. "I heard. It's absolutely tragic. We actually had a service for them recently." He sighed. "They're in the hands of God, now."

Dani bit the inside of her cheek, she always felt uncomfortable around someone who was religious when they spoke about their beliefs. It was not that she hated Christians, or any person of faith for that matter, it was just that she did not believe.

"Do you mind if we just take a look around?" Sam asked. "Maybe ask some questions?"

The priest quickly nodded. "Anything I can do to help."

The group quickly split into pairs: Dani and Sam heading to inspect the building, Cas and Dean asking more questions to the priest.

As soon as the two turned a corner and were out of the sight of those sitting in the pews, Sam turned to Dani.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked, concerned.

Dani nodded, exhaling. "There's just something you need to know..." She cleared her throat. "About me. But not now," she quickly added, regretting telling Sam about it in the driveway.