Thirteen

Her fingers fumbled for her mobile to phone Sam; the moment she brought it to her ear, she heard ringing coming from inside the car. She stuck her head back inside and, to her dismay, his phone blinked brightly at her beside Dean's. Hand's slightly shaking, she grabbed both of them and dug through Dean's contacts until she found the number she was looking for.

"Dean?" Castiel's voice sounded like music to her ears in this crisis.

"Cas," Dani gasped.

"D-Dani?"

"Something happened; Sam and Dean just disappeared!" she explained hastily. "There was something messing with my radio on the road, and when we were going to stop to investigate, their car swerved off the road and-- th-they're gone."

"Where are you?" Cas asked.

She looked around for a moment. "Near exit ninety-nine."

The line went dead. Dani brought the phone away and stared at the screen. "No!" she yelled at it. "Bloody hell," she exhaled.

"Dani."

She jumped, simultaneously spinning, turning off the safety on her gun, and aiming it. Castiel stood in front of her, hands in the air. She blew out a loud steadying breath. "Don't scare me like that."

"Sorry." Cas stuck his hands in his coat pockets.

She wrung her hands together. "I'm gonna get my EMF detector and some salt, stay here." He walked around the crushed impala, inspecting it as Dani walked back to her car to grab supplies out of her trunk.

The little machine remained dormant as she paced around the deserted road. Not a single chill penetrated the humidity, not even a breeze. "Looks like we can knock ghost off the list," she muttered.

"Can you find any sulfur?" she said it more like a command. He stalked around the car again, eyes on the ground. Dani watched as he crouched next to the front tyre. He stuck his finger in something and showed her how it came back covered in yellow powder: sulfur.

Dani groaned. "Bloody hell." 

"Dani," Cas warily began. She looked up with him, eyebrows drawn together. He looked into the sky, as if searching for the right words in the clouds. "There's something you should know..."

"What?" she pressed when he did not continue.

"There's a-- a kind of prophecy spoken about in Heaven; whispers, really-- basically rumors, but..." He shook his head and stared at his feet. "It seems like it's more than just a story now, it seems to the angels like it's coming true."

She cocked her head at him. "What do you mean?"

"For millennia, there's been a story about a woman with demon blood and an angel's blessing. She was said to be the protector of Earth. It was a fairytale, really, at least to the angels. Kind of our own version of Santa Claus." Cas nearly chuckled. Instead, he cleared his throat.

"It has been brought to Heaven's attention that that woman is you."

Dani's blood became icy; her breath caught in her throat. "What? No, no way. How c-could I have demon blood and-and have been blessed by an angel, I just found out you guys are real!"

"It must have happened centuries ago, someone in your family must have had relations with a demon and had a child-- knowingly or unknowingly," Cas explained as best as he could. "As the generations past, each person from that bloodline eventually went insane, going on a murderous rampage before they were stopped by angels or hunters."

"But, that didn't happen to either of my parents," she pointed out. "And it didn't happen to me."

"Your mother--"