Ten

The group of four were sat around a table in a diner, discussing the hunt and "Dani's epic smack-down of that asshole angel" (words from, to Dani's surprise, Dean) laughing and eating, when Dean's cellphone rang. His eyebrows drew together when he looked to the phone screen, lips turning up in confusion. Dani cocked her head at him and the table grew silent as he answered.

"Garth?" Dean exclaimed into the phone.

Sam scoffed and stared intently at his brother as he conversed with the man on the other end of the phone. Cas tilted his head back slightly with an inaudible exhale.

"Who's that?" Dani whispered to Sam, who was sat next to her.

"A hunter... friend," he explained under his breath.

She cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Wait, what?" Dean was saying into the phone. "You want us to come where...? What are you hunting?" He gave Sam an annoyed eye-roll, who nodded knowingly.

"Garth, we just finished up a hunt, we can't come running to Indiana to help you hunt some witches... You're what?"

After what seemed like a two-minute pause, he cleared his throat and said, "Alright, I'll call you back I guess."

He hung up and sighed. "I swear that little guy can talk for hours on end."

"What's going on?" Dani demanded.

"There's this hunter named Garth," Dean explained. "We met him a while back when Sam..." Sam cleared his throat, suddenly very stiff. He shot Dean a death glare. Dani raised her eyebrows at him, a confused smile playing at her lips.

Dean chuckled. "He asked us to come take over this witch case because he has to be somewhere else."

"Where-?" Cas began.

"Trust me man, I'm not even sure but you don't wanna know."

Dani blinked, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"Anyways, he said that as he was working the case, some other hunter showed up and started trying to take it over. Basically, he hates him and said to be careful and 'hopefully kick him in the ass so hard you knock that ridiculous accent outta him,'" Dean chuckled.

Dani straightened. "What...?"

"Are you guys up for it?" Dean asked instead of answering her.

"You don't need me for this," Cas said. "I'll see you later." He nodded at Dani. "It was nice meeting you, Dani." Before she could respond, he disappeared with the faintest sound of flapping.

Quickly filling up the silence that followed, Dani sighed and declared, "So, Indiana?"

*******

Dani drove alone to the police department in order to get the case reports from Garth, fingertips drumming nervously on the wheel. She was never good with new people-- hunters especially-- but Sam assured her the worst he could do was hurt her by hugging her too hard.

She opened the door to hushed chatter in southern tones. Unsure of what to do, the girl approached the receptionist.

"Hi," the woman slightly started at Dani's accent, "I'm looking for Agent Holmes?"

"Agent Evans?" a voice exclaimed from behind her. She turned to see a scrawny man in a slightly ill-fitting suit exiting the sheriff's office. He certainly was taller than she expected, but that was about where the contrasts to the Winchesters' description of him ended.

He smiled wide at her. "It's great to meet you." Garth firmly grabbed her hand and rapidly shook it up and down. Dani forced an awkward smile, feeling uncomfortable.