Eleven

When Dani returned, both Winchesters were in the hotel room. She hurriedly explained to them what happened, still struggling to swallow her tears. Every time she thought she composed herself, she would just start crying again. She felt pathetic.

Once finished, left breathing heavily and with a tear-stained face, the boys stared at her, what she told them sinking in.

"Well," Dean exhaled, breaking the silence. "Let me just say that I'm glad I haven't met this guy, but I can't wait to kick his teeth in."

Dani chuckled-- a strange, strangled noise. "You and me both."

"I think we should just continue with the hunt," Sam suggested, "and if we run into the shithead, we can give him a piece of our minds.

"In the meantime, let's go checkout a victim's wife." He reached for one of the papers on the table. "She was the guy's third marriage."

*****

Dean knocked on the door of Marilyn Porter's house, recent widow of Jason Porter. A small dark-skinned woman eased the door open.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Hi, we're here to ask some questions about your husband, Jason," Dean explained. "May we come in?"

"Of course."

Dani sipped gingerly at the glass of water generously given to her by Marilyn, watching as Sam and Dean asked her questions-- simply gathering information from afar.

"I'm not sure why this is necessary, another agent asked me plenty of questions the other day," the woman stated. Dani's hair stood on end; David.

"We understand," Sam said, glancing over at Dani, "He has, um, been removed from the case due to certain actions that we are not at liberty to discuss."

In other words, he has-- in this little act-- been fired from the FBI. Dani had to fight a grin.

"What were you doing the night of Mr. Porter's death?" Dean asked.

Marilyn was obviously taken aback. "Are you accusing me--?"

"We need to explore every possible angle," Sam explained.

She sighed. "I was at my book club, all of the women there can tell you that." She nodded once, confidently. "I'm there every Tuesday night."

The boys continued with their questions while Dani retreated inside of herself, recalling golden hair and raspy whispers and icy eyes.

******

Dani had been without food for days, giving anything she could find to Joseph. They finally were able to scrap together a passable meal. They were staying at a small hotel in Manchester, hunting a werewolf.

"Come on, get ready," Dani ordered. "Let's go get this wolf."

They arrived at a small abandoned house where they had tracked the monster. Without words, Dani gestured to her brother to circle around the house while she went the opposite way.

The wolf jumped on top of her from behind, sending her gun flying and knocking the wind from her. It dug its claws into her shoulders, sending a searing pain down her arms. She called out for Joseph. He shot at it, hitting its leg. It roared and sprang off of her, advancing for him. Dani scrambled for her gun-- she jumped at the bang of a gun going off.

She spun around, pain lacing through her at the sudden, abrupt movement. Joseph stood, gun pointed out, with the werewolf lying dead at his feet.