Twenty Two

Human and angel alike froze, for a moment, and stared at the girl in the doorway. She was panting, lips curled slightly in a sneer. She had blood on her shirt and angel blade, and her eyes were black. Sam felt his heart drop.

Two of four angels advanced on Dani, while the other two defended their allies from Sam, Dean, and Castiel. So, they had only managed to kill one of the angels. Great, she thought. A cold feeling settled in Dani's chest as she looked at the closest angel.

He swiped at her head first, aiming to knock her out. She ducked easily and plunged the blade into his stomach from her crouched position. She kicked the other angel's legs out from under her with her opposite leg. The crumpled to the ground, and she smoothly rolled out of the way and over to the second, who was pushing herself up slowly. She didn't get a chance to, however, before Dani swiftly stabbed her in the back.

Dean could not help pausing for a moment to watch the complete lack of effort the young woman seemed to exert to kill two angels. The angel took this pause as a chance to deal a considerable blow to the back of Dean's head. Blackness flashed across his vision as he tumbled to the ground. The angel stepped over him to take his friends' place to try and take on Dani.

Upon seeing the next advancing angel, Dani blew a stray hair out of her face in annoyance and flipped the blade in her hand. As she lifted it, a knife burst through his chest and white light flared in his eyes. His body fell to reveal Castiel, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Sammy!" Dean exclaimed as he struggled to lift himself, taking her attention away from Cas and to Sam.

He was struggling against an angel, who had a knife to his throat. He grimaced as it nicked his skin. The angel smirked at them, seeming to think she had won.

Dani's demeanor completely changed from predatory to wary as she held up her hands. Cas stood motionless and watched his sister closely, only looking away to check Dean.

"You don't want to do that," Dani growled softly.

The angel surveyed her surroundings, not loosening her grip on the younger Winchester. "I'll see you soon, Jordan," she sneered. Dani ignored the surge of anger the name invoked. With a wink, the angel disappeared.

"Sam!" Dean shouted. He reached out as if he could stop them. Cas quickly offered a hand and helped him to his feet.

Dani watched the two of them, mouth slightly agape. The black in her eyes had dissolved into her brown irises. "Bloody hell," she muttered.

"Dani," Cas started. But she was turning away from them. The tension in her shoulders was visible, and Dean and Cas shared a worried look.

With a snarl, Dani threw her knife into the hillside.

******

Dani handed Dean the bag of frozen peas without a second glance. "Thanks," he mumbled. His legs were propped up on the chair to the left of his seat at the head of the table. He sucked in a breath as he pressed the makeshift ice pack to the bump on his head. "So, how do we get Sam back?"

Dani sat at his right hand and looked to Castiel for a plan. He shook his head slowly, deep in thought. "There's only one entrance to Heaven in America. Usually, only one angel watches over it. Now, though, it's going to be heavily guarded."

"So let's go," Dani declared. Dean raised his eyebrows at her in a look which suggested he thought she was insane. "They obviously took him so I'd give myself up. So I will. It's not like I haven't done it before."

Cas shook his head and pushed himself off of the book case he was leaning against. "No. With what they were planning to do with you, we can't risk it."