Twelve

Dani sighed as she drove behind Dean's impala. She had wanted to go straight to bed and then drive in the morning, but the boys insisted on leaving straight away. And so, reluctantly, she packed up her very few things and asked them where they were off to. Strangely, they also insisted on not telling her. She wanted them to let her know, especially considering how awful the last hunt was. But there was no way she was going to get any information out of them, so she silently followed.

After hours of driving, with a pit stop so Dani could fill up on caffeine, she found herself in Lebanon, Kansas. The impala slowed to a halt in front of a strange circular door embedded in a hill and a very, very large building.

Dani got out of her convertible, brow furrowed. "Where are we?" she asked Sam and Dean while staring up at the building.

The brothers shared a look. "Come in and we'll show you," Sam said.

Dani looked around at him, confused. He shrugged and smiled and proceeded to unlock the door.

She trailed behind him and found herself on a platform overlooking an enormous room full of books and artifacts-- a library of sorts. A large table sat in the center of it all. Her breath hitched; she could not follow Sam down the stairs, instead staring at the vicinity.

"What is this place?" she asked as Dean came through the door and leaned against the railing beside her.

"It's where we live," he answered simply.

Dani finally tore her eyes away from the room and looked into his truthful green eyes with disbelief.

"What?" she squeaked.

A hunter having a home was very rare. The last time she had a home, well, Joseph was still alive.

"We live here," Sam confirmed from the floor below.

"When we couldn't find any cases, we figured we'd come back here and show you," Dean explained. "And you can stay until we find one."

Dani did not answer as she went down the staircase, hand trialing the railing.

"How did you get this place?" she asked instead, voice breathy with disbelief.

"Our grandfather was a Man of Letters," Sam explained. "This is their bunker. There's none of them left so it now belongs to us. We're legacies."

Dani's brows drew together. "What are Men of Letters?" She stationed herself next to him.

"They researched the supernatural," Dean told her as he came down the stairs. "Basically every book in here is full of information on the paranormal."

Dani blew out a low whistle and scanned the bookcases again. "Must be helpful when you're hunting."

Both boys nodded. Dani thought for a minute about whether she should stay with them, here, in their home. But, then, she took one look at Sam's hopeful face and instantly knew the answer.

"Don't expect me to be a morning person," she said. She watched as Sam's face lit up and he looked behind her to his brother. "And the stereotypes are true, so you'd better stock up on tea."

"Well," Dean sighed contently, "make yourself at home."

Sam smiled at her and grasped her hand. "Lemme show you around."

Dani giggled and rolled her eyes as he lead her out of the room and down a hallway. He stopped short once they a had made it around a corner and spun around to look at her. He pressed a hand to her face and kissed her. Dani's hand wrapped around his wrist and she smiled against his mouth.