Chapter 23

After much struggle, Logan finally convinced Edward to go home.

"I'd start looking for a dress tomorrow." Edward said as he kissed her hand as a farewell. Logan nodded and watched as Edward climbed into the carriage and rode off.

"What dress may I ask?" Sebastian asked from behind Logan. She flinched, startled and on edge. "You scared me!"

"Any particular occasion?"

Logan gulped. "His parents set our wedding date. The day after my birthday."

Sebastian stiffened and quickly pulled her inside and up to Ciel's desk, snatching the telephone reciever up and putting it in her hands. "Tell them its off."

"Its not that simple!" Logan sighed and put the receiver down. "I cant just say no the first day hes seen me in years. Besides. Its late. Lets just... lets just go to bed and try to figure this out ok?"

Ciel was on the sofa, reading a book but was disrupted by Sebastian and Logan. "Say no to what?" He asked.

"Forgive me, my lord. We didnt mean to disturb you." Sebastian bowed in apology.

"Answer the question."

"Edwards parents set the date. The day after my birthday I'm to be married to Edward." Logan said.

"That certainly is a problem. But letting your emotions cloud your judgement, Sebastian? So unlike you."

"Forgive me my lord." Sebastian said as he stayed bowed.

Logan sighed. Today was definitely not one void of stress like she had hoped.

Kimberly snuck into the study, it was late at night. Logan and Sebastian had long since gone to bed. Or where ever they go off to af night. Ciel was still at his desk. Insisting Sebastian leave him and that he'd get ready on his own.

Kimberly sighed, she was in her nightgown and had been waiting for Ciel to come to bed for hours. It was well past midnight at this point. "Ciel?"

Ciel, startled, jumped slightly in his seat. "Oh. Kimberly. What are you doing up? You should be sleeping."

"I could say the same to you. Please come to bed. You'll work yourself ill." Kimberly walked to stand beside Ciel's chair. "I worry you know. You havent been sleeping properly and now youre refusing to try?"

"Sleep just hasnt come easy. I'll be to bed in a minute." Ciel said. Signing papers.

"Thats what you said hours ago." Kimberly said as she snatched the quil from Ciel. "Please... just come to bed..."

Ciel sighed. His and Elizabeth's betrothal had been weighing on his mind for the past few nights. And now that Edward has stepped into the picture and Sebastian is losing his cool theres even more to worry over.

"What happened to make you so stressed you wont sleep?" Kimberly asked, tenderly massaging Ciel's shoulders.

"Edward and Logan's wedding date has been set by his parents. They're wasting no time to try to take the estate."

"How can they take it? You're the heir."

"I'm underage. It's been tough trying to keep people from trying to take it. But Logan is a Phantomhive. And if she marries that means her husband can take the spot. I wont let up easily. But his parents are close with her majesty. And if she says hes the new master its out of my hands. I wouldnt be able to do a thing." Ciel sighs, leaning into Kimberly's touch.

"How much time do we have? She wouldnt marry him either way."

"The day after Logan's birthday."

"So fast!" Kimberly gasped.

"Exactly. No time wasted. They have it planned out. The queen probably knows about this too."

"But if she didnt want you being the head of the household she could've done the same thing right?"

"No. They have to have Phantomhive blood. And because my parents were only children i have no cousins. And Logan was missing so that left me. And because in my parents' will I was to be the heir she cant take it from me without a husband and the queen."

"I see. This is quite a mess huh. " Kimberly giggled. "Dont worry. She loves Sebastian. She wouldn't betray him like that. If theres no wedding we dont have to worry."

"They're going to be mad. They'll probably hire people to watch the estate. We wont be able to be together for a while." Ciel bit his lip. Having to deal with stress without his main source of comfort was going to be a challenge.

"We'll deal with that if it happens. But for now please just come to bed. "

Ciel sighed. "Very well."

Kimberly stepped away from the chair, taking Ciel's hand as they walked to their room for the night.