1 ☽ The art of staring

Chapter 1

Four hundred ninety-five days until I'm done with high school and off to college. Seventy weeks and five days until I don't have to sit here and listen to the teachers pressuring us.

Sixteen months and fifteen days, and I'm out of this shit town.

And finally, one year and four months until I can start a new life and perhaps reveal my true self to the world.

But for now, all I can do is pay attention to class and-

A loud bang wakes me up in an instant. I lift my head, my dark curls bouncing on my shoulders as I do so. The chuckles of my classmates resound in the tiny room. I look up at hazelnut, narrowed, wrinkly eyes set on me.

Mr Lockwood stands with my book in hand, slapping it against his palm a few times.
Does he want to give me another heart attack?

"Ehm, yes...?" I say in a low voice as I straighten my back on the dark plastic chair.

"Miss Heartfilia, am I boring you?" he asks, putting the book back on the desk.

Well, yes! Your voice is like a lullaby, ready to tuck me into bed and put me to sleep.

"No, sir," I say instead, lowering my gaze.

"Then please go to the board and solve the equation," he says, making me mentally groan.

Don't get me wrong, I like math, it's just not one of my favorite subjects. However, I'm good at it and glad to understand it without even trying. It's also useful for my career. What I don't like is the associated teasing directed toward specific people.

The equation is pretty easy, and by the time I finish writing it down, the bell rings. I hastily pack my things and leave, already tasting the piece of decent quality meat one of my friends will give me.

Hundreds of people walk out of their classes and chatters soon fill the recently empty hallway. I walk past the lines of dark green lockers and through the swarm of bodies heading in the same direction. As I enter inside the cafeteria, my eyes roam around in search of a blonde and brunette.

The room is surrounded by huge glass windows with the rays of the sun illuminating it. Light wooden round and rectangular tables are all scattered around. I spot my girls already at a table near the serving counter, and damn, they're fast.

I walk up to them, dismissing the feeling of being watched by a certain someone.

"How did you guys get here so fast?" I ask, putting my bag on a wooden chair.

A proud smirk appears on their lips as they stand up, getting in line to get the delicious food our cafeteria has to offer.

My eyes catch a short, dark-haired boy being shoved behind by a couple of girls with eyes turning a dark color before turning back to a natural blue. I can't help but roll my eyes at the injustice and discrimination the school has.

"We went to the bathroom five minutes before the bell rang," Taylor says, pulling her blonde, thick hair behind her shoulder.

"She was also running away from Trevor," Bella adds, sighing.

I'm not even surprised. Taylor and Trevor have been going back and forth since that night.