8 ☽ First date with my prey

Chapter 8

I don't know if I should be happy or mad at this interruption.

My head turns toward the source who called me. Theodore's wide green eyes are looking at us with crossed arms.

I look back at Blake, whose intense eyes are still on me. My heart freaking flipped. The type of flip where my stomach is carelessly releasing butterflies. I quickly shove him away and turn toward Theo. My heart is now drumming loudly in my ears. "Hey," I say breathlessly.

Blake sighs, annoyed, but I notice with the corner of my eye that he's scooting closer to me.

In the meantime, Theodore tilts his head to the side. "Am I interrupting?" he asks with a puzzled look.

"Yes," Blake answers at the same time I reply with 'no'. My head turns to him, finding Blake glaring at the poor boy, who's looking lost as hell.

"I'll just come back later," Theodore utters out, already turning around and backing away from us.

My chest tightens, hearing how uncomfortable he sounded, and before I know it, I'm calling after him. I stand up, and Blake's hand closes around my wrist, stopping me.

"Catherine, we're not done yet," he says, pulling me down on his lap with ease. My body immediately warms up to his proximity. I can feel Panthera slowly pushing me for some control.

I avoid his gaze, already feeling my eyes glowing, and look down at my clasped hands resting on my lap. "What is it?" I quietly ask.

His sigh blows on my curls, and goosebumps crawl up my body.

"Don't worry," he whispers, "I just- I just like putting you on edge."

Panthera is frowning, and I push her back as I look at him wide-eyed. "You like putting me on edge? That's interesting to know," I dryly say.

What's wrong with this boy?

He nods his head until his eyes widen as if realizing what he just said to me. "No- it's not like that! I don't like you or anything. I like teasing. People. Yes. I like teasing people in general," he states, his eyes darting everywhere but at mine.

I hum, hiding a devious smile that badly wanted to show up. "So you tease guys like this too."

Blake snorts. "Fuck, no."

I frown at him. "So only girls. Good to know," I reply, my voice filled with a hint of bitter jealousy that I couldn't hide in time.

Blake surprises me by dropping his head on my shoulder, his arms circling my waist. He doesn't reply to me, and the sound of my heart rings in my ears, or is it his?

I stay quiet and lean my head over his messy dark hair, taking in his scent that reminds me of the wolf from yesterday.

I don't think I'll ever figure out what happens in his mind though. He's quiet one second, followed by cocky and sexy, and then a nervous wreck. This vulnerable position is showing me a new version of him. He's soft.

"Blake," I say after some time. "You're weird."

He chuckles, and the fact that it's lower than usual makes my heart flip again. "How so?" he asks.