6 ☽ Dead deer & unknown voice

Chapter 6

"Can werecats be mated with werewolves?"

Mom's emerald eyes are puzzled as she looks up from behind the book that she's reading. Standing on the stairs above and behind her, I can't help but notice her book's oddly familiar cover. I tilt my head to the side, sneaking a peek at it, my eyes squinting in the process.

What the...

"Is that Fifty Shades Of Grey? I thought you hated it," I say, confused.

Funny how she loathed it months ago.

My dear mother carelessly throws the book away to the other side of the couch, looking up at me. "Why so many questions? And yes, they can be mated with werewolves. It's rare, but it can happen."

I hum while gripping the dark wooden stair railing. "And... hypothetically speaking... is there any way that a werecat would feel that a werewolf was their mate? Excluding during the full moon period."

My mom stays quiet for a moment as her eyes shift toward the ceiling. "I don't think so, but then again, our family has always been mated with werecats."

"I see... thanks mom," I say, heading upstairs.

"Cat," she calls with a fruity voice.

My feet halt in their steps and I look back at her. "Yeah?"

"Are you crushing on a werewolf?" she asks, tilting her head to the side with interest.

I blink my eyes a couple of times before laughing at her and shaking my head. I quickly head up to my room, ignoring the echoes of mom's light chuckles ringing in my ears.

Why would I be crushing on a werewolf? She knows that I'm dying to find a male werecat mate. From what she told me, they're mysterious, devious, and very persuasive, unlike werewolves who are arrogant, conceited, and so damn quiet.

Honestly, Blake is so weird!

With a sigh, I close my bedroom door and throw myself on the bed without a second thought. I stay still for a moment before flipping around. I frown, feeling something poking my butt. My hand reaches for it, and I groan, releasing my black tail.

Fuck.

She always chooses the wrong time to express her needs.

Nonetheless, I get up and prepare myself to shift into my panther form. I put on a random orange dress, open the window, and gracefully land on the grass ground.

One thing I love about this small town is the fact that we're surrounded by woodland. The road ahead perfectly divides the forest from my 'neighborhood' houses, including my own. The houses are so distant from each other I don't even consider them my neighbors.

No one is around as I enter inside the woods. My eyes wander around, and my heart nervously speeds up. I always feel like eyes are watching me when I take off my clothes to shift, just like now.

The cracking of my bones following the skeletal anatomy of a big cat brings a smile as my contorting human face turns into a feline's one. I watch the way my human hands turn into paws in awe every time. It's a beautiful sight.

With a low growl, my panther stretches our back, lifting our butt up. Our form is smaller compared to normal ones. My mom told me it was because she gave birth to me earlier than expected, but I don't mind. My small size makes me faster and more agile, so I can dodge attacks easily.

Unfortunately, even though I've been blessed with inhuman speed, the lack of training in my human form weakens my feline side.

For example, panthers can run up to fifty miles per hour for short periods of time. I can reach half of that before giving up.