A wrench in the wheel

The photo up above is Phillip

Taylor POV

As we walk into the restaurant,  I stop to catch my breath. Getting used to New York's pace was killing me. My feet were killing me and my legs felt like jello. Carrying Blaise on my hip for the last 11 blocks probably didn't help. We had take the subway which was full so I stood the entire time with a 33 pound toddler and 2 bags that I would swear carried bricks if I didn't know better . I had sold my car after I had Blaise. I needed the money to take care of him more than I needed a car. Besides having a car in New York was expensive. The stroller I worked my ass off to buy wouldn't open this morning so that left me with no other option.
Oh my God I couldn't wait to get these shoes off. I could already feel the blisters forming.
"Mommy me hungy"
"I know baby as soon as we get to the table I'll get you your snacks until our food comes"

As the hostess makes her way towards us I see Phillip behind her. Thank God. As he approaches us Blaise is squirming and squealing!
"Unky pillip, led me go mommy. I want unky!"
Kissing me on the cheek he then takes my screaching son from my arms.
"Hey slugger. How about we help mommy with some of those bags and sit down to eat."
Looking at me he smiles and grabs Blaise diaper bag and swings it over his shoulder. "Wow buddy did you pack all your trucks today?"
"Yes. We play unky"
When we make it to the table I quickly slide of my shoes and groan.
"Oh my God. That feels amazing. You know of all the resturaunts to choose from you had to choose one 15 miles from the penthouse."
"You know if you'd just take me up on the offer I'd have a car for you in one hour."
"No way Phillip, you've already done enough for us. You gave me a penthouse to stay in for Christ's sake. I'm not taking one of your cars too."
"Well next time I'm sending a car to pick you up."
"Thanks. So what was so important that I had to come all the way here."

As he answers he places Blaise's fruit loops on his tray to settle him down.
"I can't just want to have lunch with my God son and my best friend in the whole wide world"
Raising my eyebrow at him he smiles and then says "OK. You got me. I asked Shell to marry me"

Screaching I reach across the table grab his face and kiss him.
"Oh my God congratulations! She did say yes didn't she?"

Laughing he says "Yes, she said yes. But that's not all. I came to ask you to be my best man? Well my best woman."
He had caught me as I was taking a drink of my water and I'd nearly choked to death. It actually shot out of my nose and all. As he beats me on the back he asks "Are you ok."
"Shit. Phillip. Give me a heads up next time your gonna say shit like that. Are you serious?"
"Yeah I'm serious. Why not? Your my best friend. We are closer than me and Bryce ever were. You know I don't have any other close friends. So will you?"
"Yeah I guess. What's shelly think about it?"
"Well she made me promise not to look at you the entire time during the ceremony. But other than that, she's happy."
"What why?"
"Don't you  look in the mirror Tay?"
"Yes, I know I'm pretty but so is Shell"
"Yes she is beautiful and I love her. but Tay, you are Absolutely gorgeous. I don't know if that's a step above beautiful or not. I only know you captivate people. And sometimes you intimidate women. Well even men too sometimes."
"Your crazy. I don't intimidate anyone."
"Whatever, but don't forget to throw the best bachelor party of the century."
"For real? You don't have anyone else that could do that?"
"Nope, and I want strippers"
Laughing I say "Oh no strippers"
As we ordered and our food arrives we play trucks and whatever game Blaise and Phillip come up with.
Towards the end of the meal Phillips face becomes sullen. Like he's stressed or really sad.
"Phillip what's wrong?"
Throwing down his fry he sighs and says "OK so I know we don't talk about it but some stuff happened recently and I've been holding off on telling you because you are so happy now and I don't want anything to take that smile off your face. I know your a lot stronger than you were before. I just. I just don't want you getting hurt again."

"Wow it must be pretty big huh?"
Shaking his head with worry written all over his face He says "You don't even know babe"
As my chest gets tight and my arms begin to shake I look Phillip in the eyes and whisper "It's ok. Tell me."
Letting out a whoosh of air and looking at me with the most pained expression I've ever seen on him he says "I don't want to but You have to know."
Taking a deep breath and letting it out, I then smile and grab his hand lacing our fingers and hold on tightly. After a few silent minutes I say "It's ok."
"I called my parents last night to tell them about Shell and me. When I told them they were ecstatic. they were like really really happy but not just because I was getting married." Looking at me he stops speaking and that's when my stomach lurched and I knew whatever he was about to tell me was going to be very very bad.