In the woods

Ann's POV

"Shit!" My sister exclaimed.

"What?" I asked, looking at her while I paused the music that I was listening to and pulled down the earphones.

"Tire puncture."

"Oh! Shit! Which one?"

"Rear left."

Sighing she got out of the car to change the flat tire. We carried one extra tire with us. I too got out to help her.

It was bitterly cold outside. Not a single soul could be seen anywhere. Freezing cold wind was blowing which made goosebumps all over me. I pulled my jacket close in order to keep myself warm. The woods looked so deep and gloomy as if it was full of dark mysteries. The sky above was dark with few stars twinkling and a bright full moon peeking through the gathering clouds. The scenery was magnificent yet it felt a bit creepy.

As sis was removing the flat tire, I looked at the road in front of us. There was not a single light anywhere except our car's headlight. It looked as if a path of eternal darkness was waiting ahead for us.

"Get the torch! I can't see anything properly." My sister called out, her voice a little bit frustrated. I hurried inside the car to get the torch and ran back to her. I was holding the torch for her while she changed our flat tire. Sighing, I looked at my watch. It was almost 9:30 p.m. The occasional hooting of the owl accompanied us.

Suddenly a very cold freezing wind blew past me, making me shiver and with it, a very faint familiar voice of a woman came lingering. Just like the one, I heard while I was waiting for sis outside my coaching classes; whispering " Go away...!".

I was startled, turning around to find where the voice came, I froze in my place. A sudden sensation of terror loomed over me. I saw a figure of a girl or rather a woman at a distance on the road enlightened by our car's headlights. She was not much clearly visible as she was engulfed in fog but even from this distance, I could clearly see her wearing a long white dress a bit rugged and her black open messy hair flowing gently in the freezing winds. 

Who is that? What is she doing here on this dilapidated road at such an odd hour? I asked myself

Who is that? What is she doing here on this dilapidated road at such an odd hour? I asked myself. I couldn't move for a moment as I was perturbed, rather I was scared. "What are you looking at?" Sis asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Umm..." I stuttered, unable to form words, I had no idea how to explain what I was seeing or hearing. Were these all true or just my imagination.

"There is... There" I tried to speak when I looked back at the road only to find nothing.

"What?" Sis asked, her focus was still fixed on changing the tire.

"I nothing... I was just looking at the road. It's beautiful" I said, trying to hide this feeling of fear and anxiety. I turned around once again, the road was empty engulfed in fog and an err gloomy darkness surrounded us.