Shallow

Ann's POV

"Thank you!" I greeted as I got down from the bus at the base of the mountain road that leads to our house. This was how far the bus would take me, now I have to walk through the woods to reach my home. Since we do not have our coaching classes today, I could come back home right after school. But my sister cannot come to pick me up from school today. She has her clinic and it is not possible for her to just come to drop me home then go back again. Rather I would never ask her to do something like that.

Sighing, I walked on through the elevated path. It was very peaceful though, I thought it would feel so exhausting to walk through the mountain road carrying this heavy bag with me but I was wrong, it was in fact kind of rejuvenating. The setting sun followed me, peeking behind the tall trees. The chirping of birds could be heard from deep within the woods. It was so serene. There was no one around, the ground was carpeted with dried leaves, soft twigs broke underneath my feet as I looked up, the tall, huge trees forming a canopy. The soil felt moist against my shoes as I walked on.

I breathe in the fresh air while humming a song I recalled, it was so refreshing

I breathe in the fresh air while humming a song I recalled, it was so refreshing. It was so quiet around it felt like my voice echoed through the woods. Suddenly I heard rustling in the bushes nearby, abruptly interrupting me, as I stood silent in the middle of the road.

I tried to look over towards the sound. It was coming from my right, the vegetation was so heavy that I was unable to see if there was anything around. A feeling of uneasiness crept inside me, agitated, I picked up my pace as I walked on. Cold wind blew past me, slipping through leaves, making the trees around sway lightly. The sun was already setting across the valley, making it a bit gloomy around. I could hear the fluttering of wings above me, crows cawing harshly.

I just hope I reach home before it gets dark! I prayed as I continued walking, in fact almost running

I just hope I reach home before it gets dark! I prayed as I continued walking, in fact almost running. My throat became dry, my heart beating fast against my ribcage. It felt as if I would be buried by these trees and the internal darkness within if I stop running now.

Taking a turn I reached the front gates of our house. Feeling relieved, I stood there, panting heavily for air. It was getting darker around, as I was about to open the heavy gates something caught the corner of my eyes, some sort of a movement on my right.