The Mental Hospital

Ann's POV

After the murder in school, Pamela was sent to a Mental Hospital. The policemen reported that Pamela has pleaded not guilty, she said that she didn't kill or hurt anyone, she was forced to do it. If she wouldn't kill, she would be killed. They couldn't figure out any sense in her words and declared her mentally unstable. They said she must be suffering from a personality disorder. 

But I know it was much more than that. There was something extremely sinister that has possessed over her.

The last few weeks have been very quiet at school. Everyone was mourning over the death of Jasmine, the girl Pamela murdered, and also with the recent incidents everyone was in shock.

Pihu's condition has not improved and neither did Kashi's. They were still in the hospital under critical care.

There were no traces of sis or Sam or Sid or Saikat either. The cops said they were giving their best and appointed the best detectives they had for their search but unfortunately nothing was found yet. No traces. It was as if they just disappeared. Sometimes I doubt, are they are even alive, or am I holding on to false hope. The trail has almost gone cold. Every time the policemen informed us of some lead or clue, it brought hope, and then when they come back with nothing but a cold trail leading to a dead-end, it breaks my heart. I have been trying hard to keep myself strong but the memories make me break down to tears leaving me devastated. 

Today is the last day of school before winter vacation starts. It has been so cold these days. The early mornings are enveloped in fog while the evenings are freezing. 

The bell rang indicating the end of the last class. All used to cheer but this time there were no loud cheers or anything. All were distressed with the recent incidents. 

"Hey, Ann!" I heard a very familiar voice and I turned around my gaze to meet with the concerned eyes of Ashis and Anirudh. 

"Hey, guys.." I replied trying to smile a little. 

"What happened? You don't talk with anyone anymore. Always stay to yourself. You don't even eat your lunch properly. We know what you are going through, and even if we say we understand yet we can't even comprehend the pain you are feeling now but staying all alone by yourself will not help you. We are best friends, isn't it? We are here for you!" They spoke, their voices were desperate, trying to help me, reach out to me.

"Thanks, guys!" I replied. They were correct. But how can I be okay when everyone I love is gone. I am alone. I faked a smile to show them I was OK but inside I was breaking. I turned around to hide the tears that were threatening to fall. They both pulled me over and hugged me.

After a long time, I felt so warm with the hug. I really needed it. I cried and cried on their shoulder letting out all my defeat and pain and frustration.

"You okay now?" Ashis asked me while I whipped away my tears. I nodded in positive.
"Thanks!" I replied and smiled at him. They smiled back. We bade each other goodbye and walked away. I truly felt blessed for having such amazing friends. Ridhima came to pick me and Lilly. Lilly was such a quiet girl. She hasn't got any friends yet.

"So how were you two's day today?" Ridhima asked breaking the awkward silence among us. 

"As usual.." I replied looking out of the window. The dry leaves falling from the trees made them barren. 

"Same.." replied Lilly. 

We reached home and got to our respective rooms. I changed into a pair of comfortable trousers and a t-shirt dress when someone knocked on my door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"It's me Ridhima! Can I come in?" 

"Yeah, sure!" I replied wearing my grey sweater when as she opened the door to walk in.