Mysteries

Siddharth's POV

I went on reading the diary.

As the next day arrived she forgot everything as it was her birthday and in fact the best birthday of her life. Her parents surprised her with a treehouse that they build on their own and a chest full of dolls. Her sister made a beautiful white dress for her and her brother gifted her a music box which played a very soulful yet melancholy tune but it was too beautiful. Even after all these, the fact that she was adopted made her depressed sometimes especially when she is alone. She just couldn't accept it so easily. She wondered who her actual parents were and why did they leave her and her brother.

On the other hand, her mother Mrs. Amanda Snow was suffering from a prolonged headache along with cough and cold as well as fever. This made Nidhi even sadder. The only people she had in her life, her family, she didn't want to lose them. She could feel that there was something seriously wrong with her mother.

After few days her mother started to cough blood. Several doctors treated her but none could help her much. The last doctor who treated her was Mr. Dhiraj Jain. With his medication, she was improving a bit but the improvement was too slow. There were dark circles underneath her mother's eyes. Once the cheerful bright women now become dull and pale. The happiness and cheerfulness of the Snow family had almost gone away.

One fine day a cheerful lady in her 30s just like her mother came to their house. She came as a nurse to treat their mother. Her name was Miss. Elizabeth Wood. As her mother's condition was improving they again started to laugh and have fun. But soon her mother's condition started to deteriorate yet again and much rapidly.

None of the doctor's medication worked anymore and after a month of suffering her mother died. On the last day of her life, she called her daughters and son and said in a very shaky voice "My love you know mamma loves you all! She can't live without you but she has to go now. Remember she will always be there with you no matters what! Watching over you. Be brave and kind!"

These were her last words, her trembling silvery voice still lingered in Nidhi's ears and she would break down every time she remembered her. Maybe she was not her birth mother but she loved her truly, she was her mother whom she loved dearly.

Her mother's death left the family devastated. Her father couldn't concentrate on his works neither did any of them. Her elder sister almost stopped talking with anyone, so was her father. He buried himself with work and alcohol. Her brother spent most of his time roaming in the woods. He used to say that coming back to this house makes him remember his mother more so he stays away trying to let her go. All this was too much for a 6 years old girl. She cried day and night all alone and locked herself in her room in the attic. She never anymore went to the treehouse that she used to spend most of her days once.

Every time she went there she remembered how her mother used to bring her milk and cookies and they used to play with the dolls, the woods around them were so comforting once, but now it felt so sinister.

She didn't even go to their backyard anymore. As days passed her sister and brother tried their best to help their little sister and to get her out and make her smile while coping with grief but she just stayed still like a doll. Her father's condition was also the same. He too locked himself up most of the time or went out on long trips for business purposes to different countries. He mostly stayed away from here just to avoid all his memories.

During this devastating time only Miss. Woods stayed with them and helped them. Or she pretended to. Nidhi never liked her. Some part of her heart said, Miss. Woods was the cause for the death of her mother. On the other hand, her sister and brother loved her. She always felt very uneasy around her, although Miss. Woods had very pretty facial features yet there was something very cold and evil in her eyes. As days went on Nidhi found herself more alone and depressed.