The diary

Arundhati's POV (Ann's sis)

The highway was almost uninhabited. The deep woods by the road looked so dark. There was not a single light anywhere except the light of our car's headlight. We drove on through the twisted highway and after a few minutes of awkward silence, Saikat spoke, "...um..so how are you feeling now?"

so how are you feeling now?"

"Fine..much better in fact!" I replied but my voice came out as a faint one. 

"You looked so pale down there and you even had tears in your eyes!! What was the matter?" He asked concerned while his ash eyes were fixed on the road ahead. 

"Nothing much!" I managed to reply.

Flashbacks rushed to my mind as he asked me about the basement car parking area but I kept it all to myself and managed to fake a smile on my face just to hide my fears.

"Okay...but I just wanna tell you that if you wanna share you can trust me. Your secrets will be safe with me!" He said smiling at me with a reassurance look. I smiled back and looked ahead at the uninhabited road.

"..um..my house is up in the mountains! If you have any problem you can drop me at the end of the turn. I would walk myself home." I spoke a bit hesitant, breaking the silence between us. "You don't have to worry to take me to my house all the way up through the mountain then again you have to return to your home. Its already quite late-"

"Hey! Relax!" He spoke looking at me with comforting smile, "My house is also up in the mountains! I know where your house is." He replied smirking.

"B...but how? How do you know where my house is? Have we ever met before?" I asked extremely confused! 

"I thought you would recall! But I am kind of sad to see you don't remember at all!" He complained with a smile, making a disappointed face. 

"Sorry! But I really can't recall anything" I said looking at him a bit embarrassed and hopeful. 

"Well! Do you know Siddharth Chatterjee? Your sister's best friend!" He asked. I nodded in positive. "He is my brother! You came to our house once too. See I remembered you! " He said smiling. I smiled back recalling him to be the guy in bandages. 

"Yeah, I remember now! You were covered in bandages!" I said chuckling at him. He smiled back.

He dropped me at my house and I waved him goodbye. He too waved back and reversed back his car. As I turned around I came to face my gloomy house. The uncanny sound of crickets from the woods around made an eerie ambiance. I knocked on the door. Ann opened it at once and pulled me aside. She looked really tensed as she told me what happened today in the basement with her and about Rita's condition.

"How is she now?" I asked her worried as I hurried up to Rita's room to check on her.

"She is fine but it's just that her body temperature is slightly less than normal!" Ann replied a little confused as we walked, "and sis! Don't tell Rita what exactly I saw in the basement! She seems to know nothing of it and we should not make her anymore scared or worried." she said with a thoughtful expression.