8 My Brother's Beta

© Caitlin Shepherd 2011

8 My Brother’s Beta

Hey guys :) sorry for the late upload, but I’ve had school and homework and whatnot. I hate to give you guys excuses, but it’s all true. I generally love this story (and my others, too, for the matter) and I’d never purposely avoid writing unless I had a good reason.

And who, enjoy!

P.S. This may be shorter than usual...

- - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Eight

“…And I’ve had her ever since,” Kyle finished, smiling down at his beautiful daughter. She had grown a little since that whole scene, I could tell, as she had dark blonde hair instead of a light brown like he described.

We had been driving home while Kyle said his story to me, not leaving a detail out. I had listened closely, all the while smiling down at my new niece.

Wait a minute. “You’ve had Bailey for two and a half months and you never told me? I would’ve come home to meet her immediately!”

He sighed. “That’s the problem, Beth. I knew that if I’d told you, you would’ve wanted to come back home, and we couldn’t allow that. It’s a risk that we’re even bringing you back now.”

I felt my anger subside slightly as what he was saying did make sense. I mean, I’m still angry that he didn’t tell me, but I guess his intensions were in the right place. “I’ll leave it alone if you make me one of your awesome chocolate muffins?”

He rolled his eyes at my massive grin. “Why is it that everyone wants to use Bailey as a food supplier?”

I cocked my head to the side, completely confused. “Do I even want to know?”

He just shook his head and chuckled slightly. “Nope. I’m sure that Beta of mine will explain it to you next time you see him.”

I smiled at the thought of Kyle’s best friend. “Are we going to see ‘that damn Beta of yours’ any time soon?”

He laughed, pretending to wipe away a tear. I knew that he was teasing me, but I laughed along slightly anyway. “What?” I asked, my voice only slightly irritated.

“You forgot, didn’t you?” He chuckled, making me even more confused.

Let me see. What occasions are coming up that would involve seeing Kyle’s closest friend? I mean, we’re family friends with his parents, and he goes to school and whatnot with Kyle, so he’d be over for pretty much everything. Hell, we even have Christmas with his family! Then it hit me. “Happy birthday bro!”

He laughed, and I gave him an awkward hug while being mindful of Bailey, who was sleeping in his arms. “I thought you’d forgotten!”