Chapter 4

It was a 4 day journey to London by boat and a 4 day journey home, so Tommy had predicted Ana's return in just over a week. This was just enough time to put his demons to rest before she came home. He had business with alot of people but his first priority was with Alfie Solomoms, if Tommy was to expand properly in London then he would need the right people on his side. Alfie was renowned for his alliance with the Sabini's however word on the street was this alliance was reaching its end. Tommy saw this as his chance to strike, and while Alfie was visiting Birmingham he saw this as his perfect oportunity to do something.

Tommy inhaled deeply as he walked through the factory, it was dark a dreary and full of underpaid workers. The fear of Alfie alone was enough not to make them question him though "Tommy you have alot of balls to come here, I'll give you that" Tommy nodded at Alfie's observation, although Tommy looked calm on the outside. Inside he was looking for every available exit just in case he needed to make a quick get away.

"Do you like bread Tommy?" The tall figure asked a very curious question.

"I do like bread" Tommy replied.

"Would you like to try some of my bread?" Alfie asked and Tommy continued to humour him.

"I would yes?" Tommy nodded and looked around for the bread.

"White or brown" Alfie asked and Tommy continued to look around for the bread.

"Brown" Tommy replied and Alfie nodded. A man came and handed him a bottle of golden brown liquor and two glasses. Alfie poured a glass and handed it to Tommy.

"It's a very curious thing" Alfie spoke as a man who had mental issues, it was almost as though he was on the edge of becoming unhinged "You coming into my bakery" Alfie continues and gestured for Tommy to sit down.

"Curious?" Tommy didn't seem phased by how obviously dangerous this man could be.

"Yes curious, I mean you know what could be waiting for you when you arrived, but even now you don't seem concerned" Alfie took a gun out of his draw "You see I thought this was strange until I realised you don't fear death, in fact I think you'd welcome it...so with no fear of death I found myself asking what exactly is Tommy Shelby afraid of?" Tommy listened to Alfie's conclusion his heart pounding as he watched Alfie's hand near the gun "And that's when it hit me, there is only one thing that holds a man on this earth that has no care whether he lives or dies and that my friend is a woman" Alfie grinned and Tommy sniffed, he couldn't feel his palm becoming clammy.

"Well that's where you're wrong Alfie, there is no woman" Tommy replied and Alfie chortled, Tommy shrugged and watched as Alfie's amusement grew.

"You see what's funny is I know you're lying Tommy, and you want to know why I know?" Alfie started to look smug "Because I've seen her and more importantly I've seen you with her and I know how much you love her" Alfie sighed "More?" He hovered the bottle of rum over Tommy's glass. Tommy shook his head and waited for Alfie to explain, he seemed more than keen to.

"Thing is Tommy I also know that this woman is your wife" Tommy had now given Alfie his full attention "And I know this because I walked into your home in London and asked one of your maids"

Tommy swallowed hard trying not to show any clue of how affected he was by this information "Well you must be mistaken because..."

"DON'T FUCKING LIE" Alfie slammed his fist down on the table "Don't lie to me Tommy, I know she is your wife..."

××××××

Ana sat on the private balcony in the picture house, it was a film she wasn't really interested in but she was grateful of the freedom. Even though there were two members of the Peaky Blinders seated with her. As the door opened Ana turned quickly "This box is for family only" she snarled and to her surprise a dark haired woman grinned widely at her.

"Well it's a bloody good job I'm family then" the woman responded harshly.

"Jesus Polly" Ana squealed excitedly before rushing to hug her "Oh my god is it really you, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here to fetch you home?" Polly smiled and Ana shared her grin "On Tommy's orders"

××××××××××

Tommy never usually panicked about anything, but hearing Alfie Solomons had effortlessly walked into his house in London. A house which was supposed to be shielding his wife, well let's just say that didn't sit to well with Thomas Shelby.

"She's very beautiful your wife" Alfie mocked Tommy as the pair sat opposite eachother "Stunning in fact"

"Yeah, she's certainly a head Turner" Tommy gritted his teeth as he drank some rum.

"Oh I think she'd more than turn heads" Alfie grinned "I take it she's your deal breaker? I mean I certainly wouldn't hesitate making a deal with you if you threw her in as a sweetner"

"She's my wife, not a deal breaker and I respect her as my wife, nothing more" Tommy tried to keep his anger under control as Alfie continued to taunt him "I don't make deals when it come to her"

"Shame, that's a shame" Alfie sighed "We could have made quite the deal"

"Like I said she's off limits" Tommy showed no fear now to the man sitting in front of him with the gun "Now if you want to talk business then I'm listening, or if you want to shoot me then do it...I don't want to waste anymore of my time"

"I admire you Tommy Shelby" Alfie returned his attention to the job in hand "You are a brave and honest man, tell me more about this business proposition?"

×××××××××

"So who is she? How did they meet?" Esme was curious to find out more about Ana Shelby, the woman who had made Thomas Shelby smile.

"Polly took Ana in when she was 7 years old" John lit a cigarette and blew out some smoke "She's like a sister to us Me, Arthur and Finn that is. Tommy never saw her like that"

"So they were close then?" Esme questioned curiously.

"They've always been close, too close sometimes" John exhaled "Tommy sees Ana as an equal, they are a match made in heaven...or hell whichever way you chose to look at it"

×××××××××

"Pleasure doing business with you Alfie" Tommy shook Alfie's hand firmly, before stepping out into the street. It was dark outside, Tommy lifted the collar on his overcoat and lit a cigarette before turning and walking towards the Garrison. It was a few blocks away.

Men bowed there caps as he past showing him the up most respect "Good evening Mr Shelby" one man said and Tommy grinned.

"Evening" He said in his usual deep tone, the smile on his face grew as he thought about Ana. He thought about her coming home, he thought about holding her, kissing her, laying with her...

"Holy Shit what's put a smile on your face Tommy" Arthur mocked as he watched his brother approach "There's only one thing that would do that to a man...a woman" Arthur knew his brother inside out "When does she get home?"

"A week today" Tommy replied "And I want everything in order for her return alright?"

"Alright Tommy" Arthur agreed "It'll be brilliant to see that wild little red head again"

"Mind your mouth Brother, that wild little red head happens to he my wife" Tommy grinned as his mind wondered back to a few nights previously when he had spent.the night with her...