Chapter 34

Tommy paced furiously "So how is she linked with the copper?" Tommy roared at the Lee men who had given him some important information.

"We think he had something to do with her dissappearance" Danny spoke cautiously.

"Fuck" Tommy slammed his hands down on his desk "And Ana does he know Ana?"

"I think so" Danny stuttered and Tommy threw him a glare "A while back Ana was seen leaving an office, it was late at night"

"When was this?" Tommy wondered and Danny shrugged.

"A good few months ago I think, before your son was born" Danny continued "She was seen leaving his office with a gun"

Tommy didn't speak he just tried to take it all in, he suddenly remembered how Campbell suddenly eased up on the Shelby's and the Peaky Blinders business. It then became obvious to Tommy that whatever happened between Campbell and Ana was something Ana could use against him.

××××××××××××

Ana reached up and tried to reach the books on the top shelf "What are you doing my love?" Tommy rushed to his wife's aid and grabbed the books she was reaching "Doctor Riley said you shouldn't be out of bed for at least another week"

"If I stay in bed for another week I'll go mad" Ana frowned and Tommy smirked.

"You will do as your told Ana Shelby or..." Tommy looked as stern as he could but it was hard when Ana was showing him a playful smile.

"You've never have been able to control me Thomas Shelby, what makes you think I'll listen to you now?" Ana chuckled and Tommy lifted her off the ground and put her down on the bed.

"Because I am stronger than you and I will stay here with you 24 hours a day if I have to, just so I know you're doing as you're told" Tommy leant over Ana and kissed her lips gently "I could live in this one room forever as long as I have you here with me"

"Alright" Ana laughed as Tommy kissed her neck and tickled her skin with his stubble "Alright I'll do as I'm told"

"Good" Tommy grinned at his small victory over his wife. His smile then shrunk as he remembered his conversation with the Lees.

"Is everything alright Tom?" Ana asked and Tommy found it hard to lie.

"I spoke to the Lees today" Tommy frowned "Ana why didn't you tell me you were familiar with Campbell?" Tommy winced as he waited for Ana's, no doubt, infuriated reaction.

"I'm not" Ana paused and Tommy read her eyes.

"You can't lie to me, my love...anymore than I can lie to you" Tommy hesitated "They said you took a gun and went to see him, please Ana talk to me"

"Alright, yes I went to see him. But it was a long time ago now, I wanted to warn him to back off you" Ana put her hand up to Tommy's face and smiled.

"How do you know him?" Was pained by the conclusion he was jumping to "was he one of the men who?"

"No, he wasn't like that. He tried to help me to start with, then when he realised I wouldn't be tamed he...He's my uncle, my Dad's half brother" Tommy's eyes widened.

"But he's Irish?" Tommy spoke gently.

"Yeah well my Grandmother was a whore" Ana frowned, her lack of affection for her family amused Tommy "My grandfather loved her, but couldn't raise another man's child so to punish her he made her send the baby away"

"I don't understand, how is that leverage?" Tommy was still confused.

"Because 20 years later Campbell came back, trying to find his birth mother. Except when he got here she was dead, but he didn't leave straight away because he found a woman and they fell in love. It wasn't until they were almost married...they were in church but they didn't even get to the I do's when they were told they were brother and sister" Ana explained to a stunned Tommy.

"And that's what he's so ashamed of, that's your leverage" Tommy asked, Ana shook her head.

"There was a child, she was sent away to live in a convent" Ana looked at Tommy and exhaled deeply.

"So Major Campbell has an illegitimate child, from an incestuous relationship with your Auntie" Tommy repeated, as he tried to get his head around the information he had been given. He felt confident until he saw Ana's facial expression change "Ana what is it?" He thought for a moment "The child...are you the child?"

"No" Ana's eyes filled with tears "But sometimes I used to I wish I was, because when my father did those things...There would have been a reason, he would have had a reason..." Ana's tears turned into sobs and Tommy pulled Ana into his arms, holding her tightly.

"Your father was a sick twisted bastard, that was the reason he hurt you...that was his reason" Tommy's voice was soothing and low as he stroked Ana's hair. He exhaled deeply as he felt Ana's hot breath against his neck and her grip tighten on his collar.

×××××××××××××

Tommy laid on the bed with his wife sleeping soundly in his arms, he watched quietly as her chest rose and fell.

Ana's eyes flickered and she opened them gently, with a smile when she realised Tommy was still with her "I thought you had business to take care of?"

"You've always been more important to me than business" Tommy replied with a kiss on Ana's temple.

"I know" Ana grinned as Tommy's lips brushed her temple, she lifted herself and started to climb off the bed.

"Ana..." Tommy grabbed her wrist gently and Ana laughed lightly.

"Tommy I..." Ana hesitated "What I told you? About Campbell I mean"

"I won't say a word" Tommy sighed and then frowned as Ana shook her head.

"No it isn't that, the girl I told you about. The child, I think it's Lizzy" Ana replied and Tommy just stared "Bear thinks so too"

Tommy didn't speak he just stared, Lizzy was a maid in their household. Was Ana right, did she have a family connection to both Ana and Campbell?