Chapter 18

It had been just over 3 months since Tommy and Ana left Birmingham and the smokey air was more than a good enough reminder for them, that they were home. Tommy halted the motorcar just outside his and Ana's new home.

"Are you not coming in Tommy?" Ana paused when she realised Tommy wasn't getting out of the car.

"I'm just going to see Polly" Tommy replied and Ana thought for a moment.

"Then I'll come too" Ana smiled and Tommy shook his head "Why not?" She sulked and Tommy half smiled.

"Because we have been travelling for 4 days, and you need to rest" Tommy reached over and touched Ana's face "Especially now" he added with a kind smile. Ana nodded in agreement, she was exhausted "Now tell Lizzy to fix us both some afternoon tea, I don't plan on being long"

"Alright" Ana grinned "I love you Thomas Shelby"

"And I love you, Anastasia Shelby" Tommy replied as Ana reached into the car and kissed him gently.

Ana watched as Tommy started the engine and pulled away. She smiled and turned on her heels and headed inside the house.

"Good Morning Mrs Shelby" A maid sung cheerfully.

"Ana please" Ana reminded the maid she didn't need to use such a formal greeting.

"Yes miss" She bowed her head and continued watering the plants.

"Lizzy, would you be able to make Tommy and I some tea?" Ana looked to the younger maid who was busying herself behind her.

"Yes of course, just you and Mr Shelby? Is Guy not coming back?" Ana noticed the disappointed look in Lizzy's eyes.

"No, he's decided to stay in London for the time being" Ana spoke firmly, Lizzy nodded quickly and headed towards the kitchen.

××××××××××××

Tommy walked harshly through the Shelby LTD headquarters...or otherwise known as the Shelby Gambling Den.

"Tommy" Esme greeted him first with a cautious smile.

"Esme" Tommy politely returned her gesture and looked around "Where's Pol?"

"Next door" Esme frowned "With John and Arthur like you asked"

Tommy didn't reply he just headed into his office "Tommy" Arthur smiled and stood up to hug his brother "Look at you, you have so much colour"

"You look well Tommy" Polly took her turn to hug Tommy.

"Well that's great but I didn't call you here to discuss my health" Tommy snapped "I want to know what the fuck happened? I asked you to stage a robbery...not a fucking shoot off...I said no guns"

"I know and we're sorry Tommy, its just..." Arthur started to explain as Tommy lit a cigarette "The men you asked for, we don't usually work with them. I told them no guns and they..."

"Tommy I think what Arthur is trying to say is, the men you used to stage it weren't up to standard. They are reckless and stubborn" Polly explained and Tommy nodded.

"I know and it just so happens their fuck up has gone in our favour" Tommy poured himself a whiskey "The toffs didn't suspect we were behind it, I mean why would we be when me and Ana were there with them?" Tommy took a drink "No actually they have asked us for protection, two men at each house"

"Tommy we can't just distribute men, what if we..." Polly interrupted, much to Tommy's annoyance.

"2 men per house, 7 houses" Tommy replied calmly "Polly they are paying 150 pounds per house per week"