Chapter 9

Ana hadn't moved from the spot, she just listened as Tommy explained everything "So you brought me home to keep me close?"

"Yes" Tommy replied simply and Ana stared for a few moments "I know there is a connection between that Copper and your kin, but I haven't figured out what it is"

"And Alfie Solomans?" Ana frowned "Where does he come into it? I don't think he's as much of a threat as you..."

"He was in the house Ana" Tommy's tone was blunt "Alfie was inside our house in London while you were sleeping, he told me as much himself"

Ana didn't speak she just ran a hand through her hair "I don't..."

"Listen" Tommy leant forward and took Ana's hand in his "You're perfectly safe now you're with me, I had to keep you close to protect you from harm"

"I know...I just wish we could live a normal life Thomas" Ana sighed "Away from all this danger, why can't people let us be?"

"Because my love, it was your misfortune to fall in love with a Shelby..." Tommy half smiled and Ana looked angry.

"Falling in love with you has never been a misfortune Thomas Shelby, even with all this danger and enimies at every turn. I promise I will never regret my decision to marry you" Ana frowned, it was at this moment he was reminded of how fiercely Ana loved him.

"No and I will never regret mine" Tommy replied "Now promise me you will be careful, don't go looking for trouble" he gently touched her face with his left hand.

"When have I ever looked for trouble?" Ana bit her lip and Tommy laughed out.

"That's a rhetorical question right? You're not seriously expecting an answer?" Ana's response had amused him deeply "You have a wild heart Anastasia Shelby..."

×××××××××××

"What is he plotting?" Inspector Campbell was parked up across the road from the shop Tommy and Ana were talking in.

××××××××××××

"Are you sure fabric is a good business idea?" Tommy helped Ana move some furniture around where she wanted it.

"Yes trust me, most of the women here are desperate for somewhere to buy fashionable fabrics" Ana chuckled "But if you'd rather I turned it into a tabacco...?"

"No like I said, you can sell whatever you wish here. This is your shop" Tommy stopped and looked at Ana who was rearranging the drapes around the front shop window. Ana gasped she she felt Tommy's hands on her waist. She turned in his arms and kissed him before reaching up and wrapping her arms around his neck.

The couple were getting lost in an embrace when the shop door swung open "Good morning" a man's voice echoed around the shop. The voice belonged to a police man. Tommy didn't recognise him as one of the officers on his payroll. He instinctively stood in front of Ana, shielding her from what ever was coming their way.

"Hello officer can we help you?" Ana spoke over Tommy's shoulder much to his dismay.

"Well that depends on what kind of business you are planning on opening here, this is a respectable part of the..." The officer spoke sternly and Ana found it a little amusing.

"Well my wife is planning on opening a fabric shop" Tommy moved aside when he realised this man wasn't a threat.

"Your...your wife?" The officer stuttered.

"Yes officer this is my wife Anastasia Shelby" Tommy introduced Ana, who stepped forwards and extended her hand for the officer to shake. He hesitated at first which annoyed Tommy a little. After a glare from Tommy the officer shook Ana's hand "And now you know the nature of our business, I trust you will not be bothering her again...right?" Tommy's comment was meant more as a threat and the officer picked up on it instantly.