20

"Hugo! You're awake. And is this Cassie who you mentioned?" I cringed at the bright light, but quickly focused back to the two adults sitting in front of me. I felt Hugo move, as we continued going down the stairs.

"Honey, Cassie's awake. So is Hugo." The mother pat the father's arm and the father looked up. 

"Oh hello! Welcome to our humble home." Then he looked back at his newspaper and drank his tea.

Hugo was quiet all this time so I said, "Thank you for letting me stay over. You're very generous."

The parents both nodded and sat awkwardly for a moment.

"Yes! Have some dinner, sorry dear. I'll set up a plate for you. Hugo, will you help me?" The mother said and headed toward the kitchen. Hugo let go of my arm and looked at me. I nodded, taking his look as an "Are you okay?" look. 

-

"This is delicious! Thank you, Mrs.."

"Call me Laura. And you're welcome to come over anytime, right Colin?" She nudged the father and waited for his response. 

'Don't forget to do your chores or else you're grounded!" I stared at Hugo and he started to laugh. His father, or Colin, looked up and saw me. The father blushed a little and replied, "Yes, sorry. You may. Thank you for coming over."

We all laughed after that and after I helped cleaning (even though his mother told me not to) I headed outside.

-

"It's beautiful here. I love your parents too."

"Well, I hoped they wouldn't be so awkward."

"It was alright. They're funny. I like funny."

"Well, I'm glad you liked it." 

"Yeah." I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of rain from the porch.

"Why don't I take you home?" 

"Um, sure."

-

"Thank you, Hugo."

"For what?"

"For everythin-"

And at that moment, in front of my house, he kissed me.

His lips were soft, and I hoped mine were too.

When he stopped, I headed back in and said my goodbye.

I hope I see him tomorrow.