Chapter 21

Today was the last day of Winter break. Starting tomorrow, 8 hours of my day will be spent with lessons, people scattering to get to their next class, and adults teaching us how to hate our teenage years. If you can't tell, I despise everything that has to do with school. 

Currently I am sitting alone at the beach watching the sun rise. I know you're probably thinking "What the hell are you doing on a beach at 6 am in the morning?" or "Isn't that a little dangerous to be doing alone?". Well, hear me out then. 

I'm not ready for school to start back up again. That means that i have to face the music. Lauren and I agreed to be more affectionate in school once break was over meaning tomorrow is when everything happens. As much as i want to show Lauren off to the world, I'm terrified. At first it seemed like a great idea, and it's not like I have doubts or anything. I'm simply just terrified for what's to come. Don't get me wrong, the idea of showing everyone that Lauren Jauregui was finally her girlfriend excites me. But the thought of people not being happy for us is the problem. I know that not everyone is homophobic, but I've seen people being harassed for their sexuality. 

I felt my phone in my back pocket vibrating, indication that i had an incoming call. I pulled my phone out only to grow confused when i saw it was my girlfriend. 

"Hello?" I greeted. 

"Camz, your mom is worried sick about you. Did you leave the house without telling your mom?" She asked. A blush forming on my cheeks when i realized my mistake. 

"No, i m-must have forgotten." 

I heard her sigh into the phone before speaking again. "Are you safe?" Her tone was softer, almost as if she was concerned more than angry. 

"I'm at the beach. You know, where I come to think and whatnot," I responded. I pulled my legs into my chest and rested my chin on my knees. I curled my toes into the cold sand, feeling content with how they felt against it. I sat in silence while i watched the waves crash onto the beach. I felt like weights were being lifted off my shoulders as my worries dissipated. 

"I'm gonna come get you, okay?" She asked, well, more like told me. 

"Yeah, okay. I'm in our normal spot." 

"Alright. I'm on my way princess." 

Neither of us made an attempt to hang up. I sat there wondering what Lauren was thinking on the other side of the phone. Was she waiting for me to hang up? Contemplating whether or not she shouldn't? Soon my questions were answered. 

"Don't hang up," She said. "I want to know if something happens." 

"Okay," I answered softly, distracted by the sounds of the waves and the way the sun peaked over the ocean. 

Neither of us said a word. Instead we listened to each other's steady breathing. Lauren knew that when i came to the beach alone, it meant i didn't want to talk. I come here to listen to my surroundings. It makes me feel less crowded and pressured by societies standards. It takes my worries away but it also makes me think about them too. It makes me content with my life. 

After several minutes of thinking to myself and reflecting on my life, I heard small movements behind me. I also heard my phone call with Lauren end. I felt someone sit behind me and hand pull me backwards into their body. Recognizing Lauren's hand intertwine with mine, i melted into her embrace and locked our fingers together. 

Again, no one said a word. All we focused on was each other.  I let my mind wonder off into new things while i remained in the arms of the girl i love. I thought back to how we first met and how we had become best friends. I thought back to our first big fight and we we made up days later because we couldn't stand not talking to each other. i thought back to how we met Ally, Normani, and Dinah. I thought back to the moment I realized I had feelings for Lauren and how I cried while Dinah held me in her arms for hours because I thought Lauren would never like me the way I liked her. And after all of that, I get to call Lauren mine. It all felt too good to be true.