To Go Hunt Some Orcs

Previously:

"I'm Arianeth, and I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure..."

First, Abendago had thought the girl was messing with him. But alright, he had given her the benefit of the doubt and had decided to hear her out. What kind of adventure was she talking about, you ask? Well, one that includes hunting some Orcs, and who could say no to that? Abendago surely couldn't refuse that, and let's be honest: he always longs for exciting adventures...

Abendago had returned to Erebor, had taken his stuff and had said goodbye to his brother, who wished he could have joined too but there still was much to be done in the Dwarven City. And now, Arianeth and Abendago were on their way to the Misty Mountains but first they would have to cross Mirkwood. The forest inhabitated by the Elves and Abendago gritted his teeth when they came nearby the borders of the woods. He didn't like Elves and he highly doubted it they would let them pass without any trouble. Arianeth on the other hand, didn't seemed to be nervous at all. She was softly whistling and here and there some birds answered her whistle. Abendago raised an eyebrow, there was something off about her. She appeared to be human but by the way she acted and spoke, she could have been Elvish too. But maybe she was something else... He wasn't quite sure yet. Abendago also wondered why she had asked him to join her on her quest. Well, Orc-hunt that was.

The green leaves above them rustled in the wind and the forest looked more peaceful than quite some years ago. Ever since the destroying of the One Ring, placidity had returned to Middle Earth. It was even safe again to leave the Elven road. Maybe they should start calling Mirkwood the Greenwood again. After all, the spiders were gone and Mirkwood was a beautiful as ever. There was no longer a disease that laid upon it, the shadow of the Dark Lord of Sauron was no more. But, Abendago didn't know yet Thranduil had already started to call it Eryn Lasgalen again, yet everyone continued to call it Mirkwood. Everyone was used to that name but sooner or later, they surely would call it Greenwood again.

Hours passed by while they walked through the tranquil forest. Abendago's hand continue rested upon his axe while keeping a close eye upon his surroundings. He expected any moment some Elves but Arianeth sensed them first. She halted in her pace and immediately Abendago raised his axe, but an arrow burried itself in the shank. Abendago blew up his cheeks in fury.

"Who dares to aim at my axe!" Those Elves were going to pay for that, nobody damaged the axe and lived to tell the tale.

Arianeth chuckled and saw the short red hair of the Elf who had fired the arrow. "Phoenix," she said. "Did your brother never tell you not to damage the weapon of a Dwarf?"

Phoenix shrugged and put another arrow on the graceful bow. "I'm not afraid of Dwarves, Arianeth. He looked as if he was going to hurt some trees by swinging it around. I had to do something about it."

Abendago grumbled in denial but Arianeth silenced him by putting a hand reassuringly on his shoulder. He took the arrow out of shaft of the axe and threw it back at the Elf, it landed in front of his feet and Arianeth tried to hide her smile.

"To the King, I suppose?" she asked Phoenix before another quarrel could occur, and she supposed the Elves were only here because Thranduil had ordered that.

Phoenix nodded. "Yes, it has been an odd day..." And without any more talking and questions, the Forest Guard moved again and Abendago and Arianeth followed them.

~*~*~*~*~

Elrond looked up from the scrolls he was reading when his children entered the library.

"You called for us, Adar?' Norin asked and the five of them stood still in front of his desk. Elrond granted them a small smile and rose up from his chair.

"I did. Some Orcs have been seen nearby the borders of the valley of Imladris."

Elladan and Elrohir crossed eyes and smirked. They knew what that meant, for them then though. They still didn't know why he had summoned his daughters.

"We will take care of it, father," Elrohir said whilst Elladan nodded in agreement.

"We'll gather the others and ride out in an hour."

"Be careful," Elrond called after his sons when they left the library again. Elladan turned around and held up his thumbs, while walking backwards.

"Aren't we always?"

Elrond raised an eyebrow but still decided to let them go. The twins could be joking around a lot but they also knew when to be serious... most of the time. The black-haired Elves disappeared out of sight and Elrond focussed his attention at his three daughters. He did not show it but he didn't like the thought of Orcs being so close by.

Livianna suddenly understood what he was about to say. "No," she protested. "You cannot forbid us to go to Greenwood in a few weeks."

Arwen and Norin started to protest too, they could take care of themselves. They didn't fear Orcs nor any other evil creature. Elrond sat back in his chair and waited till they had calmed down again.

"I wasn't about to say that," he assured them when silence had returned to the library.

"You weren't?" Norin asked in disbelief, she found that hard to believe. Elrond was very protective, especially about them.

Elrond shook his head and the girls smiled. "But," he said and their expressions changed to worry. "I will not let you go until I'm sure all three of you are able to protect yourselves."

Livianna rolled her eyes. "You know we're skilled, father."

"Still, it can't hurt to sharpen your skills, am I right?" Elrond observed them. "It's either that or you're not going."

Norin sighed. "Fine, we'll train."

Elrond smiled. "Good."

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Bit short chapter, sorry 'bout that. And I told you time would be a bit 'wibbly wobbly', because you've probably noticed Dale has only recently been rebuild but the One Ring is also already destroyed. Yeah, impossible, I know. Just bear with me, alright? ;) It's some kind of alternative universe...? Yep, it's an AU.

Ah well... Geronimo!

PS. Do I need to cast the characters every chapter? Because I know it can be hard for the readers to remember who's who. Should I... Yeah, alright; here it comes (If I shouldn't, let me know):

Avengers14 as Phoenix

bj10082074 as Abendago

ieatalotofbooks as Norin

LiviaUndomiel99 as Livianna

-unicorns-- as Arianeth