The Stars are Falling - Part Seven

All of Greenwood was in panic. The ground was literally falling away under their feets and while most tried to run from it, it was inevitable. Sooner or later, most of them would disappear in the void beneath them.

~*~*~*~*~

Varonwe was running behind Victoria who was skillfully jumping over some endless cracks in the forest ground. "Where must we go?" she asked out of breath, meanwhile glancing over her shoulder. They couldn't keep running forever.

Varonwe surveyed the area around him. He tried as best as he could to ignore the screams of terror that occasionally reached his ears. This was a dark day for all of Middle Earth. So much loss and they couldn't even fight it off. There was no death as pointless as this. Varonwe wondered how far the power of Ummamrod reached. There had to be some restriction to it, right? Then all they had do to for now was to reach the boundary. He tried to think as Ummamrod; Thranduil had known about the creature so Ummamrod was angry at him. It would want to see Greenwood fall first. They had to leave the forest as quickly as possible.

"To the river," he answered her. The river would lead them straight out of Greenwood. Maybe they could actually make it. It wasn't far.

"I do not know how to get there from-," her sentence was cut short when the ground under her feet fell away. Time seemed to slow down as Varonwe jumped forward in an attempt to grab her hand. His right hand reached for Victoria's while his left hand clasped around a twig from a still standing tree next to him. His fingers missed hers with only a few inches apart. His heart skipped a beat and Victoria's scream in agony was all that rang through his mind.

He had been too slow.

~*~*~*~*~

"Get up," Narsil demanded as she ran towards Aragorn and Arwen. Caladhiel, Elrohir and Elladan were right behind her. The ground rolled and twisted, and even got the Elves almost out of balance. They couldn't stay here. They had to run for their lives. Arwen en Narsil helped Aragorn to get back on his feet.

Amarië appeared out of the shadows of the trees behind them and ran towards her human best friend. Ayleen was still exhausted from the fight with the gigantic monsters but did what Narsil said as well. With the help of Am she managed to stay on her feet. She glanced over shoulder, pondering about the question of the Elven King's Hall would be safe, but massive cracks appeared in it and one side already started to sag. It wouldn't take long before it would've been completely collapsed.

Arwen supported Aragorn as his back was sore from the smack he had made.

Eight started to run, but only six survived. Aragorn and Elrohir both lost a part of their heart that day. An empty space that no one ever could fill. If they both hadn't had an elleth to comfort them during their almost unbearable loss, who knows what would've become of them. However, Amarië would never be the same. The terrified look on Ayleen's face was all she would see during her dreams at night. It would haunt her forever and would continue to break her heart over and over again.

So much pointless deaths.

~*~*~*~*~

Thranduil had grabbed his sons when the face in the sky had disappeared. He didn't have to wait and see to know that this was a bad sign. Ummamrod cared only for one thing; revenge.

"Let's go," he shouted, dragging the princes with him.

Legolas tried to protest as Livianna didn't noticed anything. She just stared at the sky with her sister Norin. Thranduil however was stronger than his son and Legolas' protests got silenced when the ground started to shake. Huge gaps and cracks appeared all around them and agonizing screams filled the night sky.