The Day Before the Feast of Starlight

Aragorn halted when the wind whispered through the leaves of the trees. With a small smile he crossed his arms in front of his chest and waited for the Forest Guards to show up. A bit bewildered, the others stopped too. Varonwe, however, had the feeling they were being watched as well and scanned the area. The Guards were good, though. It was hard to spot them on the branches, even for Varonwe's skillful eyes.

Esmerelda tugged at Aragorn's arm and he looked down at the hobbit.

"Why are we stopping? What's wrong?" she asked, and his smile grew bigger. Esmerelda's question was answered when a loud curse reached their ears.

It had taken a while for Ayleen to notice the others had stopped walking, and when she had casted a glance over her shoulder to ask if hey were coming, she had bumped right into a Guard. Suprised by the sudden blockage that hadn't been there yet a few seconds, she had cursed in the name of the Valar. With a thud, she landed on the ground and Legolas uttered a short laugh; unable to hold it in.

"I am sorry, Ayleen," he apologised while helping her back on her feet. "Usually you see me right in time."

"Yeah, I know," she answered a bit cranky. Today was not her day, but Legolas didn't hear the tone as his eyes fell upon Livianna. He smiled brightly and walked towards her, picking her up and spinning her around. Livianna squealed and put her hands on his shoulders to keep her balance. Her cheeks were red from laughter when he put her down once again. It was strange to Gimli to see Legolas like this, it was a side he hadn't seen before. It warmed his heart though to see his friend this happy.

Meanwhile the other Guards had appeared as well, swinging gracefully down from the trees and Varonwe recognised Caladhiel. He greeted her with a nod while Aragorn introduced the others to Legolas and the Guards. After all, they had probably brought more guests than expected but Legolas didn't seem to be bothered by it. King Thranduil on the other hand...he probably wouldn't be too happy about it. He wasn't keen of strangers, that was a well-known fact.

"There used to be another one with us, though," Ayleen added when her brother had finished speaking. Legolas turned back around to her, his arm still resting around Livianna's waist.

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

Elrohir tried to interrupt them. "That is not a matter to discuss in the middle of the forest." His voice sounded as if he was warning Ayleen, but she did not care.

"We ran into a stranger who had been running from strange orcs. He travelled along with us, but half an hour back, he just disappeared."

"Strange orcs?" Legolas repeated. He casted a glance at Aragorn and he shook his head.

"We'll talk about it when we're in the Elven Halls."

Legolas pondered about it for a moment, but decided to agree with Aragorn. He trusted him, and Elrohir and Elladan. They would tell it when they would.

And so it came they all set course to Legolas' home, finally.

~*~*~*~*~

When they reached the Elven Halls, Caladhiel was surprised to see Arianeth waiting for them. The last few days, she and the dwarf had hardly showed theirselves. The maia seemed to be looking for something, but then her expression changed. Caladhiel couldn't quite put her finger on it, it looked as if she was disappointed, yet relieved. She greeted her but Arianeth did not respond nor did she follow them. Caladhiel shrugged, then not.

Legolas guided the group through the many hallways until they had reached the King.

Thranduil rose from his throne and his eyes were cold. "I told you this would happen," he said to Legolas, furiously. "Mereth Nuin Gilliath is a feast for elves. Yet here they are; men, a dwarf and even halflings."

The company wisely held their mouth shut. Thranduil would calm down eventually, hopefully.

Legolas shot an angry glare at Phoenix who was standing at the foot of the tree and was slightly chuckling. When he noticed his brother angry look, he bit his lip in an attempt to stop.

"You are rusted in the old ways, Adar. What harm can it do if outsiders join?"

Thranduil huffed. "Just know that this is not going to be a habbit. This first time shall be the last as well."

Legolas fought the urge to roll his eyes. "I will show them to their chambers. Good day, father."

The company bowed to the King and then followed Legolas. However, before they exited Norin casted one last glance at Phoenix. She had thought the second Prince would have been as serious as Legolas, but it appeared he was not. She would like to get to know him better.

Phoenix saw her looking and winked at the elleth, which made her quickly look away; her cheeks burning up.

Even though Aragorn and Elrohir had said they would tell Legolas about their adventures, they decided to wait until Thranduil was open to reason. He should hear it as well, after all.

When they were almost to their guest rooms, they came across Amarië and Ayleen smiled when she saw her. They had meet a few times before in Lothórien and had become friends.

"Am," she greeted her and Amarië smiled when she spotted the Ranger.

"You're here for the Feast as well?" Ayleen continued but Am shook her head.

"Not intentionally. Father finally let me explore the world. We ended up here, but I did not realise the Feast would be soon. However, the King let us stay."

Ayleen raised her eyebrows. "We?"

"Haldir and Rúmil came along as well."

The others decided to let the two catch up and continued their way. Luckily, they had enough chambers. Most of them were hardly used, to be honest. They didn't get many visitors, which had probably something to do with Thranduil's hospitality and his liking of strangers.

Everyone was in an exuberantly mood and no one was aware of the danger that would befall them tomorrow. No one except Arianet, who dearly hoped she was wrong. A few days ago she had asked Thranduil to cancel the Feast but he had told her none could do. Everyone was looking forward to it, he couldn't just blow it off. Such thing had never happened before and Thranduil didn't want to start now. If something would happen, they would face it as the warriors they were.

~*~*~*~*~