The Stars are Falling - Part Five

Aragorn ran as fast as he could. His heart hammered in his throat and his blood rushed through his veins. His little sister was battling five monsters with only Arianeth to help her. And although Aragorn did not carry any weapons with him, he was rushing to their aid. He could not bear it if something happened to her. At least he would cause a distraction.

The end of the forest doomed up in front of him and the sound of metal clashing upon each other filled his ears. There! There they were. Fighting in front of the opening of the cave system. One of the huge monsters lay on the ground, already dead. But it still was four against two and while Ayleen still fought in a dazing speed, Aragorn could notice she began to tire. Her strikes were not as force driven as he was used to. Not the mention the fact they were sloppy and decreased her defence.

Narsil noticed it as well and with clenched jaws, she pushed her body to go faster until she had caught up with Aragorn. Even though she half elven, the only positive side that seemed to have come with that was her immortality.

Caladhiel, however, had no trouble in keeping up with them and with the three of them, they each crashed into a seven feet high monster. Knocking them off of their feet. Though Ayleen's armes burned from exhaustion, she managed to kill one by pushing her sword through its throat before it could stand up again. Black blood gushed out of the gaping wound. The other two were in more luck but focussed their attention on their attackers: Narsil and Aragorn. The half-elf skillfully dodged the blows. She was more agile and faster than the creature. But Aragorn was less fortunate and was sent flying through the air by a blow against his chest.

Arwen and Ayleen both let out a scream at the same time when Aragorn crashed harshly upon the ground. Without hesitating, Caladhiel grabbed Ayleen's sword that leaned with the tip on the ground. The Ranger was obviously drained from trying to keep the monsters off as long as possible.

Caladhiel sprinted towards Aragorn and meanwhile noticed how well-balanced the sword was. It was almost as if it was an extension of her own arm in stead of a sword. The red-haired elleth grinned and leaped in front of Aragorn before he was striken down. In a few heartbeats, Caladhiel had conquered the monster and it fell with a heavy thud on the ground. Its head rolled further until it was stopped by the trunk of a tree. Caladhiel spinned the sword in her hands, it really was an outstanding piece of craftsmanship.

Ayleen let out a breath of relief and suddenly remembered the dagger around her belt. Her eyes darted over to Narsil who was still dancing around the creature, annoying him to death with it probably, and Ayleen waited for the right opportunity.

"Narsil," she shouted when the moment was right. "Catch!"

Narsil's eyes glanced at the dagger that was flying through the air and her slim fingers clasped around the leather covered haft. With a swift movement, she buried the dagger upwards in the monster's chin.  Its eyes rolled back in its sockets and with a strange gleam in her starlit eyes, Narsil watched the life flow out of the creature. She tilted her head a bit to the side and slowly removed the dagger and this monster too, fell upon the ground. As dead as one could be.

But alas, the feeling of their victory didn't last long as a scream pierced through the sky. Their faces dropped and they turned towards Arianeth, who had been fighting the last one. They had hoped the Maia could've defeated it but the reality truck them hard and without mercy.

Out of her back came the blade of the creature. Her body went limp and the thin, rod-shaped piece of metal that she had used to battle it, fell out of her hands.

For a moment, there was no sound as Arianeth's body slumped down on the cold and humid forest ground and time seemed to have stopped. It was impossible. Arianeth could not have been defeated. She was untouchable.

Narsil was the first to came back to her senses and without thinking, she threw the dagger in the direction of the monster. The thought of missing hadn't even crossed her mind, but perhaps if she had overthought it; it wouldn't have worked. It was a bullseye as the dagger planted itself in the creature's forehead.

But after that, everything went bad real quick. Out of the opening of the cave came a strong gust of wind and everyone was thrown several feet backwards. A thunder without impact rumbled through the air and a chill went down everyone's spine.

~*~*~*~*~

The night sky rumbled. Dark clouds appeared and formed together a massive one. They moved very fast, rolling and tumbling over each other. Green and purple flashes lit them from behind and while some of the partying Elves hadn't noticed yet there was something wrong, they surely noticed now.

With jaws dropped and big eyes, they stared up and wondered what was going on.

"May the Valar be with us," Thranduil prayed silently.

Everyone gasped in fear as a huge - nay, massive head appeared in the clouds. Its skin looked like the bark of a tree, yet it was purple and its eyes were an illuminating bright purple. No one doubted it could see everything from the Greenwood to Umbar with those eyes. The head took a deep breath and the trees cracked and screamed as the wind almost hauled them out the ground. The roots had an utmost difficulty in keeping the trees where they were supposed to be. Some, however, failed and flew towards the gigantic face in the sky. The trees burned when they came in contact with the thundering clouds, the remaining ashes swirled through the air.

The elves clutched onto each other, but luckily the wind did not touch them. As if the head was taunting them and could control everything with its breathing. Which it actually could.

"Adar," Phoenix whispered. "What is that?"

But Thranduil was spared an answer as the head chuckled from deep out of its throat. Its laugh vibrated the air and shook the ground. "And so Arda will finally fall into destruction." The words were almost impossible to hear as its voice was very deep and it was occasionally interrupted by some laughs.

~*~*~*~*~

Arianeth's death was just the beginning.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: It is really hard to write all the characters in it. I just realised Elrohir had a sword and was going to the Urgals as well, but I'm too lazy to change it now xD He tripped over a root or something, idk.

BUT CAN YOU FEEL THE TENSION? :D (Still going to use it, Noortje. It's just kind of our thing, I guess)

The end is nearing...!

~*~*~*~*~