The Feast of Starlight - Part Two

While Thranduil said some meaningless words as opening for the party, Esmerelda scavenged between the many wooden tables which were filled with food.

However, she let out an elongated sigh when she couldn't find any pie.

"Honestly. Which party doesn't have pie?" she exclaimed desperately towards her brother Merry who was a few tables away from her. Merry was just about to stuff his mouth with a tasty looking vegatable, but with his mouth half-open and the food hanging still in the air a few inches away, he looked at his younger sister and just shrugged.

"I don't know. A bad one." And he took a large bite of the appetiser.

"The wine is excellent, though!" Pippin said with a hiccup which drew her attention. Esmerelda wouldn't be suprised if he already had had enough drinks. His cheeks were red and he had a jolly looking expression on his face. His eyes looked at Esmerelda though he didn't really saw her. He leaned heavily on the table to prevent himself from falling over and another hiccup escaped from his lips.

Merry raised an eyebrow and while loudly chewing, he observed his cousin who was obviously already drunk. And the feast had only started a few seconds ago.

Esmerelda crossed her arms and sighed once again, too caught up in her own problems. A whole evening without pie!

This was going to be a disaster.

~*~*~*~*~

Elladan glanced at his twin brother who rested his hand atop of the hilt of his sword.

"What do you expect? Orcs falling from the sky?" Elladan snorted at his own joke, and Elrohir shrugged. He knew it was a bit over the top, there was probably nothing going to happen but he just had this feeling, like an itch in the back of his head he couldn't scratch away. Better safe than sorry, was his reasoning.

"It is a party, muindor. Lighten up."

Elrohir shook his head. "I cannot."

However, his hand fell off of the hilt when he noticed two beautiful ellith in the corner of his eye. He was caught off guard by the sight of the elf with fiery red hair and an amazing-looking green dress. She was a truly fair lady.

Elladan laughed and closed his brother's mouth by placing his finger under his chin and that's when Elrohir realised his mouth had dropped open. He blushed slightly, feeling a bit embarrassed, which made Elladan only laugh louder.

Till Elrohir's shock, it drew the attention of the two elves he had been staring to. The two crossed eyes with each other before returning their attention back at the twins. The red-head smiled friendly although the other one looked rather bored.

"Go say hi," Elladan suggested. It was funny to see that for once, his brother had no clue what to do.

Elrohir examined his brother expression to see if he was messing with him. It appeared he was not. "You're sure? Wouldn't that be weird?"

Elladan fought the urge to roll with his eyes. "Gwanunig nîn, that's what feasts are for. To make new friends."

Elrohir scratched the back of his neck, realising that was indeed true. He took a deep breath. "Very well."

And with an amused expression, Elladan watched his brother go and tried to hold back his laughter when he noticed Elrohir's hands were slightly trembling. How cute.

~*~*~*~*~

Caladhiel let out a small squeal. "He's coming this way!" She grabbed Narsil's arm and shook it violently, unable to hold in her excitement. But she quickly stopped when she realised that it would look weird. So had to act casual. She could do that.

She had this totally under control.

Caladhiel had seen the twins before when she and the others of the Guard had escorted them to the Elven King's Halls but she doubted it if Elrohir - at least, she guessed the one coming their way was Elrohir, it was quite hard to tell the difference between the two but Elrohir was the more serious one and he was still wearing his sword - would recognise her. Let alone knowing her name.

Unknowingly, she held in her breath when he finally stood in front of them. His mesmerizing blue eyes locked with hers and his formal greeting almost went straight past her as she almost drowned in them. If Narsil hadn't poked her with her elbow, Caladhiel would have forgot to breathe or to reply for that matter.

"Mae l'ovannen, Elrohir," Caladhiel greeted him. Thank the Valar with a steady, not squeaky voice. O no, wait... What if it wasn't Elrohir at all? Some colour drained from her face.

Elrohir - or was it Elladan - raised his eyebrows.

O, no...

Caladhiel tried to swallow away her nervousness, but it got stuck in the back of her throat. She tried to hold back a cough. Tears formed itself in her eyes. This was bad. Real bad.

Narsil gave her a weird look who noticed there was something wrong with Caladhiel.

But then...

"Most can't tell the difference between me and my brother. I must say I am surprised you can." He was silent for a while and Caladhiel's cough disappeared as snow does to the sun. She had been right!

"Have we met before?" Elrohir continued with a slight frown.

Caladhiel shook her head. "No. If I may be honest, it was just a guess."

Elrohir smiled, which gave Caladhiel an odd feeling in her stomach. Like butterflies trying to escape.

"Quite a bold move, my lady. What if you had been wrong?"

Caladhiel's face turned in a nice shade of pink. Indeed, what if she had been wrong?! But she wasn't, so all was well, right?

Elrohir decided to safe her from his rhetorical answer. "I am sorry, I didn't catch your name?"

"Caladhiel. It's Caladhiel."

Narsil's eyes shot between the two and she cleared her throat, a bit awkwardly. "Yeah, I am going to stand over there," she said while gesturing with her thumb over her shoulder.

She shuffled away from the lovestruck elves and continued to observe the dancing ones.

How much longer did she had to endure this?

~*~*~*~*~

Narsil, nor the others, didn't know the mood of the party was about to change real quick. . .

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Well, can I write fluff or what? Rhetorical question, don't answer it. I know it's bad. Forgive meeeeee

Anyway, THE END IS NEARING

OH MY GOSH

I AM EXCITED YET SAD TO SEE THIS STORY END

(though there are still a few chapters to come, I don't really know how many... Five, maybe?)

I know it's taking me ages and ages to update, and you all are probably tired with it, but yeah... I have some feelings, okay XD

Alrighty then. Stay tuned for part three!

PS. I am still learning Sindarin, correct me if some phrases are wrong.

~*~*~*~*~