In the Mines of Moria and a Shocked Elf

The company of Elves, Men, and Hobbits walked through the tunnels without running into trouble. Merry and Pippin were particularly happy about that since last time they were here, they ran into lots and lots of goblins. But ever since the Dwarves had taken hold of the Mine again, the goblins were no where to be found.

Then, they all stepped into the light of torches that were hanging on the stone walls and everyone stopped walking. No matter how often you had seen the halls of Khazad-Dûm, it always would be impressive. The stone columns were huge and it was impossible to see the ceiling. The shadows casted by the fire, danced on the walls and created a mysterious sight. Not to mention a magnificent one due to of the gigantic seize of the Mine that made them all feel small. Norin wondered how the Dwarves would feel because of it, seeing as they were even smaller.

Elladan nudged his brother. "Do you think they are trying to compensate for something?"

Elrohir sighed and slammed his brother's hand away. "You always say that when we are here and it is still not funny."

"One day it will be."

"I cannot believe we have never been here before," Livianna breathed out in awe. How could she be so old, yet so unknowing?

They continued their way and after a while they came across the first Dwarves. Some stopped with their duties to look at the newcomers, but it was soon clear they had no bad intentions and continued with whatever they were doing.

The company reached the throne room and Gimli, who incidentally just walked out, greeted Aragorn, Ayleen and Varonwe heartily. Meanwhile, he eyed the rest of the group suspiciously.

"Who are they?" he asked the Rangers. Before they could answer he recognised the Elves of Rivendell, and then his eyes fell upon the Halflings. "Merry! Pippin! It's good to see you, lads."

Apparently, Gimli forgot to ask about the three others -- Victoria, Esmerelda, and Call --, he turned back around to the guards and gestured at them they had to move. "Come on in. King Durin will be glad you finally made it. I feel like we've been waiting forever."

Gimli had been invited to Mereth Nuin Giliath as well, and they had agreed to meet each other in the Mines of Moria. From here on, Gimli would travel along with the rest of the company towards the Greenwood.

The heavy doors that lead to the throne room opened without making a sound and a bit humble, everyone walked in.

Call was still processing it all, so this was what laid beneath the mountains... He hadn't seen that coming.

As one man, the company kneeled in front of the Dwarven King who sat upon the throne. Just as most Dwarves, he too had a magnificent beard which was black and adorned with golden studs. A heavy-looking crown encrested with different kind of stones rested upon his head and his fierce blue eyes looked down at the kneeling group.

"Rise, my friends, and welcome to Khazad-Dûm." His voice boomed through the room and everything about the King radiated authority. "I know you have little time left to be present at the Starlight Feast, but a banquet in the Mines, you have time for that, yes?" The King asked, his eyes sparkling with joy. It was not often that outsiders entered his beautiful kingdom, even though it was open to everyone. As long as you knew the password, of course.

The Hobbits' faces beamed up, they were sure the Dwarves would have a far better feast than the Elves. They glanced at Aragorn and Elrohir, who everyone somehow agreed on being their leaders.

Aragorn smiled and Elrohir shrugged. He supposed they had time.

"It would be our honour, King Durin," Aragorn answered.

Durin clapped his hands together. "Splendid."

~*~*~*~*~

Caladhiel greeted the Elf who had the next shift and when they had switched places, she stretched her back and started to head towards her chambers. She hated guarding the entrance towards Thranduil's Hall, nothing ever happened. She rather had forest duty, then she and her team had the freedom to walk through the woods to keep an eye on everything. Sure, usually nothing happened then as well, but then at least she could move around. Standing still for hours was just not her thing.

On her way back, Caladhiel came across Narsil and since they both had to go the same way she decided to catch up with her. She ran a few meters and tapped the dark-haired elleth on her shoulder. Narsil looked over her shoulder and greeted her.

For a moment, they both were silent but Caladhiel broke it. She knew Narsil was not much of a talker and that if she wanted a conversation, she would have to start one herself.

"So, Narsil," Caladhiel began and Narsil focussed her attention at her. She didn't gave any response though, and as soon Caladhiel realised that, she continued her small talk.

"Do you already know what you're going to wear to the Feast of Starlight?" she asked her and Narsil frowned.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you are going, are you not?" Every Elf, except from a few unlucky ones, was free that night and Caladhiel knew Narsil wasn't the one who had the shift, so she should be going, right?

Narsil shrugged. "Yes, I am, but I am not going to wear something special. This is good enough."

Caladhiel looked at her in shock. "You mean, you're going to wear your uniform?!"

She shrugged again and Caladhiel grabbed her shoulders, preventing her from walking further. "No, no, no. You are not going to wear that," she protested.

Narsil laughed shortly. "I really don't see the big problem."

If if was possible, Caladhiel became even more shocked. A look of determination grew on her face and she hooked her arm through Narsil's. "Come, we're going dress shopping."

Narsil tried to protest but it was all in vain. Caladhiel couldn't let Narsil attend the most gorgeous Feast of all in clothes like that.

"You will be the most beautiful elleth of the whole Feast," Caladhiel stated and Narsil's heart sank in her boots. Oh, Valar. She hated dresses. Let alone shopping for one.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: I don't know why but I thought Gimli had rebuild the Mines of Moria? But, that appeared to be wrong. It was Durin the VII. Gimli established a new Dwarven kingdom in the Glittering Caves. My bad! I'm going to fix that in one of the previous chapters.

Feel free to say it if something is wrong, I hate giving inaccurate information!

But poor Narsil, I feel bad for her; I hate dresses as well. It must be one special occasion if you want me to wear one xD

Dresses: yay or nay?

~*~*~*~*~