Chapter 4

----------------A Week Later---------------

Austin Pov

I had finally gotten through my first week at Camp Hill without any more major incidents (a.k.a embarrassing incidents). I had bonded really well with all of the forms I teach, especially 8Z.

But it seemed two girls, who I identified as Amy and Beatrice, Tris for short, knew about something. They were acting very suspiciously in classes, as if they were planning something. What would I know though? They are teenage girls, probably doing whatever teenage girls do with their lives.

It was Monday and I had a lot of marking to get done. It was finally lunch and I was starving. I left the marking and decided to finish it after school. As I walked into the staff room to get lunch, I bumped into Liz. Fate must really hate me. I didn't want to mess up again but my stupid brain thought differently.

"Sorry!" Liz apologised with her beautiful voice, looking up. "Oh, hi Austin!"

"Hey," I replied nervously. It was the only thing I could think. I have never been this scared to mess up in my life. (Except the time when I was printing something out in the library and got shouted at by the librarian, Ms Morris I think her name was. Boy that was scary.)

"How has your school day been so far?" She asked politely.

"Good, thanks. Just a lot of marking to do. What about you?"

I couldn't believe that I was actually able to form coherent sentence as a reply. I wouldn't be surprised if she was shocked at this.
But obviously she wasn't because normally people are able to form proper sentence. It is a simple task that can be easily performed by human beings.
True. Sometimes my brain isn't that annoying, even though this may seem completely impossible.

"It has been good, the usual. Do you want to have lunch with me? Maybe we could find out more about each other?"

I wanted to decline, remembering the large pile of books that needed marking. But I couldn't turn down this opportunity. It was something that may never happen again.

Ok, now you're exaggerating too much. It's not the end of the world!

Yeah, that's true.

"Yeh, sure," I replied, trying, but failing, to be casual.

We walked together into the staff room and took a table. I didn't have any food and neither did she, from what it looked like.

"So, we haven't talked much and why don't know much about each other so let's play 20 questions!" Liz spoke excitedly. She must be eager to find out more about me and to be completely honest, so was I.

"Sure. Why not?" I answered.

"Ok, first question. What's your favourite colour?"

I didn't expect her to ask this, out of all questions in the world.

"Why'd you ask that?" I said, confused.

"I just wondered. It's very important that I know what your favourite colour is," she replied, laughing. Her laugh was beautiful. It made me smile and I am sure it would make anyone else smile too if they saw it. Her laugh was full of life. Beautiful.

"Fine, its black. I love the colour. It reminds me of bravery and courage to stand up for the people I love and for what I believe in. It's from a book I read ages ago. What about you?"

"Mine is purple. I just like its liveliness. Its mix of two different colours but they make something beautiful. My turn!"

Time lapse

About 20 minutes later, we still hadn't eaten anything. But we had definitely found out a lot about each other. I found out that she lived in Munich, Germany for about 10 years, where she met her husband, much to my dislike. She also lives near school and lives a very healthy lifestyle. She walks to school everyday. I would never be able to do that! I also found out that she loved chocolate cake like I do. We are very similar in personality.

That's why you have a crush on her.

No. It's just an attraction...

I was stopped from having another argument with my brain when Dean came. In his hand he had a pizza box. Finally! I was absolutely starving, but it was worth it. I got to spend time with Liz and bond with her some more.

"You guys look hungry! I brought some pizza for you, you look like you need it!" Dean told us. I was thankful he realised.

"Thank you so much. I was so hungry, I just didn't realise when we were playing 20 questions," Liz said, sighing in delight as she ate a pizza slice.

We decided to finish our little game while eating. We only had one question left, so I took a risk.

"For my final question, can I have your phone number?" I felt like it was a necessary question, since we were friends now.

But you want to be more than friends!

Ugh. Not again. She's married remember!

Well then convince her your better than her husband.

I can't do that! That would just be wrecking a relationship. Despite the fact I wish Liz was mine, there was nothing I could do. This whole crush thing was one-sided. She didn't like me back so I guess we're just stuck as friends.

"Hello? Earth to Austin!" I was snapped out of my thoughts by Liz, who was waving her hand in my face.
"Oh, yeah. Sorry," I replied sheepishly.

"As I was saying, sure. Give me your phone."

I obeyed, giving her my phone.

'YES!' I thought. This is just another step into this relationship. Before we know it, we'll be as close as ever.

She returned my phone with her number saved on it.

"Well I have to go to prepare something for my next lesson but it was nice talking to you. I hope we can talk more sometime," she said, smiling politely. I wad glad I finally got her phone number.

Little did I know that I would desperately need that phone number later.