Chapter 12

Austin POV

1 word. Samantha. She stood before us in all her glory. A million questions ran through my mind. How did she know we were here? More importantly, why is she here?

"What are you doing here?" Liz asked the ongoing question running through my mind, harshly may I add. I decided not to interrupt their conversation. It was between them and I had nothing to do with it.

"I knew you'd be here. I came to say I am sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you at all. Alexander forced me! He forced me to do this with him! It wasn't my fault. I lost my friendship with you and it was out of my control!" Sam replied, tears falling out of her eyes.

She made it almost believable, but I knew she was lying. Another question popped into my head: What will she gain from a friendship with Liz?

"You expect me to believe that? He totally forced you didn't he, which is why you called him 'baby' and enjoyed it, isn't it?" Liz shouted, angrily.

"Trust me. He threatened to hurt you physically if I didn't agree to act like I like it. Even when we were alone. I had to act like I liked it so that he wouldn't do anything to you. You know I loved Alec!" Sam cried harder.
Did she? Did she really love Alec?

What I feared, happened. Liz's eyes softened. She believes her! How?! It was so obvious that she was making up some kind of story to get her friendship with Liz back.

"Give me time, I can't just be your friend again after all that has happened."

Maybe it's the memories of her friendship with Sam that has covered up her judgement of what is the truth and what is another lie.

Liz turned around and walked away from Sam and I. I wanted to follow her but she needed time alone.

Before Sam left she caught my eye; she smiled, winked then turned around and left. What was that all about?

-----------------------

The week passed quickly. Liz and I haven't talked much, usually it was just me saying hi and her ignoring me, or something to do with work, which rarely ever happened since History and German have nothing to do with each other.

It was now Tuesday lunch, and I, along with most of the other teachers including Liz, Samantha and Dean, were there.

Sitting across the room, Liz and Dean were talking with Liz laughing at some joke Dean just told her. I clenched my fists, staring at the two, that could have been mistaken to be a couple. Was he flirting with her? I thought he was my friend, and knew that I liked her!

That's why you should've asked her out already! Delete any chance of there being competitors, make her yours. But no! You have to wait till the whole population of the world dies before you can ask her out.

"What's up with you?" Daniel asked me.

If you're wondering what happened with him well we kind of made up. I'm not homophobic and I accepted his choice but the way everyone found out was just wrong, since Edward was married; I made sure I highlighted that to Daniel before we made up.

"Nothing it doesn't matter," I replied, covering up my feelings yet again, getting up as I spoke, "Let's go get food from the canteen." Food was the only excuse I could find to leave the room and change the subject. I couldn't sit there watching Liz and Dean, my friend, flirt like that. It was too much. Plus, I was really hungry.

As we finally reached the canteen, I could hear the year 8 girls squealing and whispering due to my presence. However, I took no notice. I had much bigger problems to be thinking about.

On entering the staff room once more, Daniel and I passed Liz and Dean, trying to avoid eye contact with them. I could hear their conversation.

"Liz, do you want to go out some time, like a date?" Dean asked her. I could feel jealous burning through my veins, my hands forming fists. Her reply broke my heart even more.

"Of course," she replied, smiling slightly.

I wanted to break everything in my sight.

Glancing involuntarily at Liz, we made eye contact. Her smile faltered a little.

I thought she liked me, because I sure in hell liked her. A lot.

Maybe I wasn't good enough. Maybe I was just her rebound, just like Alex said.

-----------------------

Later that day, after I had skipped the rest of the school day, saying I was ill, I lay in my bedroom. All the events were replaying in my mind. How could she? I knew she had to move on from Alexander, but I didn't think she would choose Dean.

My heartbreaking thoughts were cut off by a confident knock on the door. That better not be Alexander. There is no reason for him to be here; Liz isn't here. She's probably with Dean, doing whatever they're doing together.

Answering the door, I stood confused. Why was she here?

It was Samantha.

-----------------------

Ten days. Ten long days had gone by, after Dean asked Liz on a date. Samantha told me that I needed to get revenge and to do that I had to date her. I wasn't in my right mind which is why I made the stupid decision of dating my brother's ex.

Walking into some fancy Italian restaurant, sitting in the booth in the corner were Liz and Dean. It was their fourth date, yes, I was counting. I told Samantha that I'd pick her up at 7pm, as a date. It was just an excuse to see Liz, but still.

I hate Dean. So, so much. Every time they hold hands I imagine what it would be like if that was me. Every time he kisses, I think why isn't that me? It was as if he was trying to annoy me.

Sam and I got a table, that just a few tables away from them. One of the waitresses came up to our table asking for our orders, just as I started to see what was on the menu.

"What would you like today?" The waitress asked, smiling at me in particular and almost glaring at Sam.

"Just give us a minute to decide," I replied. I could feel Sam looking between the waitress and I, jealousy evident in her eyes. But what I don't get is why she is jealous. I thought this was just a deal? Was it because she likes me?

"Sure thing." The waitress walked away, sway her hips slightly. Ugh.

Just as she walked away, I made eye contact with Liz, and boy did she look angry.

She got up out of her seat and walked towards us, with Dean running after her.

"What the hell are you doing here, Austin?" She hissed, irritation noticeable.

"Is there a problem? I am taking Sam out on a date, since we're together now," I responded harshly.

Liz's eyes widened in shock, and I noticed tears building up in her eyes. Why was she crying? It's not like she cared.

Liz walked, more like ran out of the restaurant with Dean, who grabbed his and her things, following closely behind.

"Looks like you broke her heart," Sam told me, mischievously. I glared at her, grabbed my keys and walked out, leaving Samantha calling my name after me.