5) The Distraction

I find myself in the garden resting my head on a bench. I let my hair down past my shoulders. I wasn't quite used to the black locks yet, but in a way I kind of liked it better. It looked mysterious, threatening even. Or maybe red was better?

I swung my legs on the bench and thought about this whole situation. The policeman, the social workers, the care workers, the care kids. Where did it all go wrong?

I buried my head into my knees. Of course I knew where it all went wrong. I can't kid myself any longer, and acting like I am trying to make everyone better by pointing out their fatal flaws. It's a distraction, an illusion. That's not really the reason why I do it.

I take after my father.

I mean it's not really much of a surprise, it's not like I just realised. Within me I knew. I take after the bloody bastard.

"Tyler, she isn't a dog," a girl whispers.

"Yeah I know, I'm just trying to poke her with a stick," the boy replies.

I raise my head from my knees before he gets a chance to get the stick even near me.

The girl had slick brown hair, tied up with a low pony tail. She wore a khaki jacket and a pair of brown jeans. Bit more my style.

The boy was wearing similar clothes, and he had a wild afro, big and crazy. Not my style.

"Actually, most people do think I am a dog." I say, swinging my legs of the bench, "I'm Margo by the way, the new girl,"

"I'm pretty sure you're not a dog," the girl replies, "just because one person here thinks you are, it doesn't necessary mean you are one."

"So you heard?" I sigh as I look up at both of them.

"Yeah, news travels quickly around here." Tyler replies, "but don't worry, me and Jody could defend you if want."

Two guardian angels helping a devil in disguise. Why not?

"Thanks. It means a lot," I say, pulling a fake smile. It must have worked, because they both smiled back and sat beside me.

"Is this yours?" Tyler asked, holding a book he found next me.

It was a tatty old book my mother had given me ages ago. 'And then there were none'. It was a great book, full of intelligence from the judge (A/N Sorry for the spoilers if you haven't read it yet!) to make every one of the residents die, for committing crimes in their lifetime. And then the climax at the end when he suicides, because he himself has committing a crime by killing them. He kind of reminds me of myself.

"Oh yeah." I say, peering at the cover. "But I don't really need it anymore. I mean I have read it enough times,"

"I will take it then," Jody says, snatching the book from Tyler's hand.

"Please don't make this another Alice in Wonderland," he chuckles.

"What do you mean?" I murmur, not really paying attention.

His voice drifts as he talks about whatever I asked about. What am I doing? I am not suddenly willing to give the book away. It's the only thing that my mum gave to me, apart from the passive smoking.

"Don't tell your father." She told me the day she gave it to me, "I saved the money up for you."

I need it back. I glance at it sitting on Jody's lap. I can take it back; I won't seem the person I am trying to be. There are going to find out about my past eventually, aren't they? I mean they could hack into the files and find out...wait, they're not me. And if there was anyway if they could discover the documents, only half of it is in there. I have and never will open up about what happened yesterday.