9) Six O'clock

I lift my head up from the pillow, and instantly start to feel the throbbing pain in my left eyebrow once again. I guess sleep was not the remedy for that. I look around the ghostly room. Since the only room I do have is the living room, which seems to be the place where most of the care kids spend their time; I decided to get my rest up in the attic. And even though it's dark and musky, it was still somewhere I could get my sleep with no one surrounding me. It felt good just being here, not listening to anything or doing anything. Just living in the moment, and then slowly drifting to a deep sleep.

Just alone.

But, it still isn't the best thing to do, and I know that. Shutting everyone out from the real you does have consequences. Being able to see people being happy and sociable. It so easy for them to open up to someone they barely know, trusting them.

Trust. Maybe that's where I went wrong?

Suddenly my phone goes off, which surprises me. I never get texts or calls from friends because most of them are fake. I have never owned or downloaded any type of social media, so the only thing it could be was...

One message

R Reeves has updated his credit. Click to see more.

...my hacking programs. I check the time on my phone. Quarter to six. Shit.

_____________________________________________________________

I find myself, led by my GPS tracker, in the garden. I look around, hugging my laptop against my chest. Where could the rascal be?

The sky was a wash of dark blue, and it was going to become nightfall soon. I stood shivering on the grass; it might be the brink of summer, but it felt like winter in the dim nights.

I approach the garden swing, wondering if he could be waiting there. But he wasn't, so I just sat there myself, swinging on the swing making an awful creaking sound.

I looked up at the sky and see a glowing star appearing. It used to fascinate me; how the whole universe around us was exploding, and yet when we see it from earth it is all so still. And when the universe has finished exploding all the stars will slow down, like a ball that has been thrown into the air, and they will come to a halt and they will all begin to fall towards the centre of the universe again. And then there will be nothing to stop us seeing all the stars in the world because they will all be moving towards us, gradually faster and faster, and we will know that the world is going to end soon because when we look up into the sky at night there will be no darkness, just the blazing light of billions and billions of stars, all falling.

"Oh...Margo," I hear a northern voice say, "I didn't realize you were going to be here!"

I look up and see a smug look plastered on Ryan's face.

"Who said I was Margo?" I speak, as I stand up to meet his eye. He was only half an inch taller than me, so there wasn't that much height difference.

"Wow," he said, "you speak?"

I roll my eyes. As I said, a typical boy who wants revenge.

"So where's the cash?" he adds stretching his hand out, waiting for me to place it there.

"Before I do, what will you do if I don't?" I question him, tilting my head a little to the right and furrowing my brow.

"Well, it's safe to say I know the real you. And I am pretty sure you wouldn't want anyone else to know about that," he explained, "Ok, hand it over," he adds as he nods at his hand.

"And what is it you know, exactly?"

He sighs, getting a bit annoyed. "That you can hack people's phone."

"Well then you're wrong."

Ryan laughs coldly, but there was a hit of nervousness. "Don't try and fool me. I know you where the girl with the blue hair waiting outside the ca-,"

"Oh no. You were right about that. It's just, you said you knew the real me, and that's not the real me."

He looks at me complexed and curious.

"The real me does not stop at mobile accounts. I can hack into your actual phone, find messages, pictures, and videos. Then there is social media; direct messages, followers, following..." I continue, knowing that none of these were threatening him so far.

"...and much more. But do you want to know which my favourite is?" I ask, not expecting for an answer. Whilst talking, I was slowly reaching for my laptop on the swing.

"Computer systems and private files. And Ashdene Ridge is a fine example" I emphasis. And that's when his whole expression changes in one tick. His eyes widened, waiting for me to continue.

I opened up my laptop, and waited for it to load, "do you want to know what I was really doing when you left last night? Do want to know why I was really tired this morning?"

I turned the screen around to face him, "I was reading how you nearly got Mike fired,"

His eyes turned to the screen, reading through his file, not quite believing me. But when he was finished, he looked up, and all the confidence from his face was drained. Just a hopeless little teenage boy inside.

"But...Mike couldn't have," Ryan whimpers his eyes averting from mine and back to the screen,

"Everything goes into the files," I cackled, "you should know that by now, being here for so long."

"You read the whole of my file?!" he asked, his eyes bulging. I smirk to myself, then I shut the screen and hug the laptop toward my chest, leaning toward his tall, toned body.

"What you have done, and what you will do, I will always know what you're doing Ryan. Just because you made the little mistake of trying to threaten me, you will never escape from me and my presence. I always will be watching you," I spat into his ear like he did to me this mourning and last night, "and from now on, you will be doing what I say, or your secrets might accidently spill,"

I leaned back and looked at his expression. It wasn't confusion, nervousness or curiosity. Just pure anger. I turn my back from him and start walking back into the bustling house, where dinner is being served, as a nearby clock chimes. It's six O'clock.

"You won't get away with this," Ryan suddenly shouts from behind me, "I will find out who you actually are!"

I turn my head to face him.

"Trust me, I already have."

A/N

So...I say I wont update for a while and I update the next day. Wow.

But the thing is, after I uploaded last night, I saw the last episode of 'The A word'. For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a BBC drama that aired on BBC 1 for the last few weeks.

Anyway, I finished watching it and it was such a good conclusion to the whole series, and I was literally crying. And then all of a sudden I had this spark of inspiration. So I just started to write.

When I started this book, I had no idea what the story line would be, like I had a vague idea but I wasn't too sure. But I literally thought up everything last night. And even though the episode finished at ten, I stayed up for another two hours just writing different parts from the book. In spite of the fact I knew I had school tomorrow, I couldn't stop.

So I am really sorry if it was kind of a bad chapter, because I was not sure what I was doing but ideas just ran out of my head, through my fingers and into my laptop, and I didn't really want to change it that much.

Anyhow, if you enjoyed make sure to vote and comment if you enjoy! And make sure to check out 'The A word' on BBC iplayer.

Love

K