Chapter Two: A Forgiven Sin

Detective Murdoch gazed into James Gillies's eyes and felt his heart swell. He had never expected such concern coming from this mastermind criminal before him. To be honest, he never expected so much concern from anyone at all. No one had ever seen him cry before, or so conflicted. James Gillies was the first, and for him to be accepting so easily...Murdoch wondered if it was all a dream. 

"Gillies..I don't know if I can do this. I mean, what about Julia? She's expecting us to become engaged I'm sure. No one could ever know about this..about us."

Gillies frowned slightly and smoothed a hand over Murdoch's cheek. "Oh, Murdoch. No one ever has to know. What you do with Julia is your decision. However, in this room..alone with you, you're mine." His gaze darkened, and Murdoch saw the usual evil glint in his eyes. Usually, it would terrify him, but now..well now it stirred something within him that he had never felt for a man. Gillies's hand slowly glided down to Murdoch's chest and gripped the tie there, gently pulling Murdoch towards him. The lantern light illuminated Gillies's face, and Murdoch noticed something.

"Gillies..what's that on your head?" James Gillies furrowed his neatly trimmed brows as Murdoch made them both stand. He peered into his hair near his temple and noticed a bleeding gash.

"Gillies, what happened? Who did this to you?" He went to touch it, and Gillies stopped him, pressing his lips into a flat line. 

"Come now, Detective. We both know I've gotten into worse than this." He smiled slightly, but then swayed. Murdoch held him firmly by the shoulders and took him over to the bed. He lay him down gently and grabbed a handkerchief from the bedside table. Dabbing blood away, Murdoch held the lantern closer to better access the wound. It wasn't very deep, but it did need cleaning. Standing, he went over to the sink and wet a cloth. 

"Murdoch, it isn't that big of a deal. It was only a skirmish." Gillies mumbled from where he lay, but Murdoch could tell from his voice that he was lying. 

"Be that as it may, it needs cleaning, and you need rest." Murdoch carefully washed the wound, and bandaged it as Gillies tried not to wince. Finished, he pulled the blanket up to Gillies's shoulders and sat in a chair beside the bed. 

Gillies smirked at him from the bed, "I suppose I should say thank you, but I would prefer you come into bed." He pulled the blanket open for Murdoch to slip into, but he declined. 

"You need rest, and me in the bed won't help with that. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out if you have other intentions." 

Sighing in content, Gillies mumbled, "Dear Detective, my only intentions are to get you stark naked and have my way with you." 

Murdoch blushed and looked away. Only a moment later, Gillies fell into a deep sleep and was snoring lightly. The detective smiled slightly and watched the young man sleeping so peacefully with a sort of contentment. How could a criminal care for him, and he for a criminal? It was a sin to be with a man, let alone an evil man. What was he to do if he went through with it? His faith forbid any intimacy with a man, or woman, especially before marriage. However..Murdoch had never felt so calm around anyone else before and had never felt his heart swell as it did around James Gillies. Surely, if this were love, God would forgive him of such an intimate sin.