Chapter Seventeen: The Truth Comes Out

Inspector Brackenreid had been on the trail of James Pendrick for almost a week now. He had gone himself, trusting no one else to find the so-called brother of Murdoch's. James Pendrick had jumped the border the same night they had rescued Murdoch from near death at that water mill. After being alerted that Pendrick was out of Canada's reach, Brackenreid continued on as a citizen, hoping to catch him and drag him back himself if he had to. Unfortunately, after a week's time, he was needed back at the station house and could waste no more time hunting down the culprit.

Being back in Toronto was like taking a breath of fresh air after being below deck too long. Murdoch had already come back to work the day before, and although the Inspector missed the grand celebration at having him back, he was glad he had some news for Murdoch. Walking into the station house, Inspector Brackenreid nodded gratefully at all of the 'Welcome back's' and the 'Good to see you, Sir's.' He trudged into Murdoch's office, intent on letting the man know what truth he had found out about Pendrick.

*****

William Murdoch rose quickly, Inspector Brackenreid had burst through the door demanding he listen to enverything he had to say. Not like he had to demand it anyways. Murdoch was just as curious to hear about his findings as the Inspector seemed to tell them. As they both got situated again, Murdoch nodded for the Inspector to go ahead.

He cleared his throat, "Well, you see, Murdoch. I was following Pendrick out of Canada when I realized he had been using the same alias at each train stop- goes by the name of "Jonathan Markim." Anyway, I lost track of the bastard after some time and when I was trying to track him down again I figured why not try the alias? So, I went into one of the local pubs asked if any of the lads knew where I could find him or if he'd been in lately. Nobone knew anything except for one man. He was an elderly gentleman who said Markim had gambled him out of all his money a week before and that if I found him to let him know so he could give him whats for. I asked if he knew where Markim had stayed last time he was around and he said no, BUT," The Inspector announced, looking pleased with himself at this next part, "But, that he was known to gamble at different dens around the city and that he never hit the same one twice. So, asfter some diggin, I found out who Jonathan Markim really is."

Inspector Brackenreid slapped a folder down onto Murdoch's desk. Murdoch picked it up, and opened it.

"Don't bother. I'll tell you. Jonathan Markim is James Pendrick. Actually, it's the other way around. James Pendrick doesn't technically exist. He came up with the name when he came to Toronto and married that crazy wife that tried to kill you a while back. His real name is Jonathan Markim. He's originally from Missouri back in the states. Turns out, he's been a wanted con man on the loose for ten years or more. I couldn't find out much else except that his father did die six months ago, but that his birth certificate states a Susan Markim to be his mother. So, I'm not sure if he is your long lost brother, but according to the United States of America, he is a Markim- not a Murdoch."

William sighed and leaned back in his chair. Sure, Jonathan Markim could have lied about all of it and he isn't his brother, but at the same time Murdoch couldn't be 100% positive that they weren't related. For now, though, he would accept that Markim wasn't his brother and that he was using him for a con or some other devious act. Perhaps his father had lied to him as well, and just wanted a watch he had seen before. Whatever the case, William felt only slightly relieved. The Inspector could tell.

"Oi, Murdoch. I know you aren't sure about this whole mess, but at least we got somewhere with it. Otherwise, James Pendrick would still be wanted and not this Jonathan Markim fellow. Of course, he is a clever man. He might come up with a new name in no time. For now, don't worry though. You've got your health back and your friends are keeping an eye out for ya. Oh...and that fellow of yours."

William blinked. It was the first time since Julia explained that Brackenreid knew he was in love with a man that he had actually heard the Inspector mention it.

"I don't suppose I get to know who the lucky lad is, do I?" Brackenreid stood, dusting off his trousers. Murdoch laughed nervously,

"No, Sir. I'm afraid you would not approve in the slightest." Brackenreid frowned and shrugged.

"Well, as long as you're alright with it I can be too. Just don't let it affect your work." He barked, and strode out of the room.

Murdoch relaxed and opened the folder again. Inside was a picture of Pendrick/Markim when he was a boy, standing next to him was a sweet looking woman with blonde hair and a tall man with slicked back hair that was probably brown or black judging from the tone of the black and white picture. He flipped it over:

"Jonathan Markim, Susan Markim, Everett Markim, 1869."

It had been a while since he saw a picture this old. The fading made it difficult to tell what else was written on there but it was in cursive and looked to be made by a different hand. Murdoch pulled out his magnifying glass to see better. There it was-just under the date there were words written in cursive....he peered closer.

"Conneli's Funeral Home"

Murdoch gasped. This picture wasn't of a growing family, it was a picture of a dead family. They had done those before and still did sometimes to remember the dead if there were no other pictures of them alive. This was groundbreaking. James Pendrick wasn't James Pendrick and he wasn't Jonathan Markim. He was someone entirely different, someone who needed many alias's. James Pendrick was a spy!

*****

OKAY! So I know there are a lot of twists and turns but what did you expect with a character with little to no background (Pendrick). The next chapter will have a big scene with Meyer's our favorite secret agent and a special cameo of George Crabtree in disguise-much to his displeasure. I know I said I would have it before ten but I might be a little late publishing the last one. It'll be tonight but maybe late.

Love,

Rachel